Need an incubator mentor... not sure what my eggs are saying to me!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Betsysbabyservices, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Betsysbabyservices

Betsysbabyservices Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    we got two supposedly fertile buff orpington eggs from a gal in the community. We have been incubating them at 100 since Sunday the 19th. For the first days the eggs had nothing visible inside them. Incidentally the temperature went up to about 104 yesterday. There is a large, dark oval area visible through the egg now. What is going on? help!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

Normally, you can't see much of anything after four days. If you see a dark circle in there now, it's possible that the embryo has died. There are some great egg candling pics on this website. Just search for "egg candling pics" and you'll see them.

If you can see a dark ring inside the eggs, that's a blood ring and means the embryo is dead. If you gently turn the egg, and you see that dark blob floating aimlessly, that usually means embryo death too, in my experience.

If you're doubtful, you can always leave them incubate for another week......

Sharon

3. Betsysbabyservices

Betsysbabyservices Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    [​IMG]obviously a super crappy picture. Using an LED flashlight and help from two 7 year old girls. Large dark area on one side of the egg, large pores, no veins. :( Calling today to see if we can find more fertile eggs. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by