Need an intermediate between the storage tub and the outdoor coop!

MarieNC

Songster
9 Years
May 10, 2010
Hello, I have 6 babies that are almost 3 weeks old. I have them in the largest storage container I could find but I think it's starting to get a little tight in there for all 6 of them. The coop won't be ready for weeks yet, and I don't know what to put them in in the meantime so they'll have a bit more room to move. Any suggestions?

Heres what I did. I went to the grocery store in town and asked for an empty canteloupe crate. It was cardboard with a pallet bottom. Perfect, but you'll need a truck to get it home. They just throw them away usually. It was big enough for 15 babies until they turned 6 weeks and moved to the coop.

My 6 chicks are about the same age and i had the same problem. After the storage container I was going to put them in a refridgerator box, but I put them in a medium sized puppy play pen (6x6) instead. I covered the bottom 2 feet with cardboard and put a towel over 1/3 of the top. I lined the bottom with a tarp covered with shavings.

All excellent suggestions! Thank you so much! I thought about a kiddie pool (someone on the raising baby chicks board recommended this) but I haven't been able to find one deep enough yet.

when ours were getting too big we used 4 alumninum framed window screens and ductaped them togheter to make a frame around them, and it made the box taller....
smile.png

Crib. The foldable, semi-disposable kind. If you haven't got an old one, you can get advertise on Craigslist or ask around...it's much better than a kiddie pool because they can't jump out and wreak havoc (at least until they're around 8 weeks). This is what we did and it worked great.

53498_pen.gif

Any moving companies near by? Start calling them for small household crates. They are required to use brand new crates for all military and state department moves. This mean the moving companies are sitting on crates and have to get rid of them somehow. Usually they have one employee sitting out site smashing them down to be put into dumpsters. Most of will let you have them for free for for little money. Some will always ask for money and you just have to haggle them down. It your time to come out and see what they have, and you may waste some time if they have only bad looking ones, etc... You are getting my drift. I worked for several moving companies. Your best bet is in summer/early fall. Most moves are happening during school break. That's when just want to get rid of those crates. Sweet talking also works.
Forgot to mention that the small crates are also called "unaccompanied small household shipments/crates". These are not the full size household crates. They are usually shipped ahead to help in a long distance move. Especially in international military/state department moves.
Katharina

Last edited:
I borrowed an extra-large dog crate (metal type), disinfected and hosed it down. Then wrapped the inexpensive 1/2" plastic hardware cloth around since the holes were too big.

It did the same with one duck, but used the plastic mash bag I had laying around from peanuts I've purchased to feed the wild birds in my yard. What can I say I keep things and they tent to come handy at times.
Katharina

Back
Top Bottom