Need another opinion...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickieBooBoo, Jan 30, 2011.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Need another opinion...My little sisters Buff Orpington pullet B is not doing well, I'm not really sure what to do with her. She is a runt, has badly crooked toes, has trouble walking for an unknown reason, her beak is split almost completly in half and she has trouble eating, because of this she is VERY thin. (I honestly dont know how she lives) On the other hand, she doesn't 'act' sick or unhappy. She isn't as active as the other birds, gets tired quicker and sit by herself a lot. When she is up and walking around she acts fine though... I just dont know what to do with her...

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You could do a search here on crossbeak for ideas to help her eat; it's not the same condition but I suspect her eating needs are similar. Basically I think they are given food in a wide dish so they can scoop it up with their bottom beak, but I'm only talking from some memory of what I've read, I've never dealt with this.

Honestly, many on here would cull her, end her life. There is a possibility that there are other internal deformities. But this is a personal decision, and if she seems generally happy, many on here would also keep her as a special needs chicken. If this is what you do, keep in mind she may well need a fair amount of time and even separate quarters to live a comfortable life.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Frankly, I would cull her, but as previously stated, it's a personal choice. If she's having trouble eating and VERY thin, I'm guessing that she's starving. Probably why she tires easily. Much kinder to end it quickly for her than let her suffer any longer. I wish you all the best. My chickens aren't pets, but it's still hard to make the decision to put one down.

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Ya, I'm gunna cull her tonight. We'll freeze her and bury her in the spring.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sometimes the kindest decisions for our animals are the hardest ones for us to make. Hopefully you can find another nice chicken for your little sister.

6. BrettMO

BrettMO Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Nevada, MO

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by