Need Answer Asap!!!! YOLK SACK OR SOMETHIG ELSE On This New Chick??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HenThymes, May 13, 2010.

1. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    I just had a hatch of my lavender orps and this is one of the last to hatch. Due date was yesterday, all but a couple hatched. He pipped (oh and at the wrong end to boot) yesterday and that was it till today, he got tons of the shell off this morning but was wrapped in membrane that was starting to dry so I did help it out. This is what is attached to his navel.. It is not egg yolk, you can see that he has absorbed all of that, it is a red bumpy mass that even looks like it has some small blond hairs growing on it?

Will he make it??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Looks to be a bit of the yolk sac that hasn't finished absorbing. Not unusual and should absorb with some time or dried up and fall off.

3. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Probably just yolk sac yet to be absorbed. Don't remove the chick from the incubator until it absorbs or dries up and falls off on its own. Watch that other chicks don't rip it by pecking or stepping on it.

4. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    looks almost exactly like my yolk sac issue heres a few pics from what i went through, they are graphic, but maybe it will help you compare since theyre a bit better quality
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ... sorry theyre not in order, but i accidentaly pulled it out when it didnt obsorb, while i was cleaning some pasty but, the last two is how it started, just a small sac, but as she peeped and fussed it pushed out the rest of the way, the first 2 pics. she was about 4 days to a week when this happened, so i ended up cutting it off close to the navel and now shes flourishing, id suggest keepng her seperated until it either re obsorbs, or if it doesnt look like its gonna happen give her a few days to get some strength then snip. After her "surgery" i smeared her with iodine and an antibiotic and kept her seperated for 2 days, then gave her back her friend. hope it helps, if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

5. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Hi, thank you for the pictures. Yes and no about looking the same. It is definitely some sort of tissue only this sack is made up of lots of little bubble looking sacks that make on big sack. Some are red, some are whitish in color, you can see veins running thru it and the cord that goes into the chick is really thick in diameter, it's not string thin. There is even one of the little bubble sacks that has some hair growing on it?? Can a yolk sack look like that and have hair on it????

The chick does not seem distressed in any way, just moving around and them napping like other would do. Thank fully he is the only one in the bator so I don't have to worry about him getting picked on. Just want to make sure I am doing all I can do for the poor little thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by