Need answer for a friend, unable to stand curled foot.

TroutsChicks

Fluffy Stuffins
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
baxter Tn
I was asked to post for a friend. Thank you

"Update on my "sickie chickie". I'm thinking now it's not Marek's, but I'm not 100% positive.

Her foot (the one she cannot stand on, seems to be broken or deformed and was most likely injured as we moved the tractor or she fell off the roost.

She can stand, but cannot put weight on the foot. We did separate her, to watch her and also to make sure she is getting food and water and not being trampled.

I am giving her Colloidal Silver in her water and giving her fresh organic comfrey leaves and sun-brewing comfrey tea. I'll try to make a splint of some sort to help support her foot.

Can you think of anything else I can or should do? Thanks in advance."

Yes, I feel the leg all the way up and cannot feel anything out of place.

I check the foot often for Bumblefoot. There is no sign of injury.

She first started with a link about a week ago and now the foot has been curling inward, more every day. I don't know how to help her!

Thank you for any help!

update on hen from her owner "My "Precious" RIR with the lame foot is not doing well. She is not eating or drinking without help. I fear she is going downhill." any help?

It could be any number of things. I agree it sounds like an injury that for whatever reason is causing her to fail to thrive. There is probably nothing else you can do. I'd keep her separated and keep her in a darkened, warm area with chick kibble and water.

If it's one leg and the rest of her movements seem normal, maybe tendonitis? Chickens curl up in every position imaginable (at least our girls do LOL.) Nurse Turtle has it right...keep her in with some TLC and see how it goes. Is there a vet in your area who handles chickies?

Back
Top Bottom