NEED ANSWER GuineaCockW/4 chickens, ADDED guineacock He's GONE HELP!

Tootsie

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 13, 2008
Northern NJ
I Need an answer very soon so I know what to tell the people with the guinea so I am hoping someone will answer this.There is a farm I manage and I have a guinea (age at least 7 yrs) that lost his brother to a fox last year (June 2009) so he is the only remaining guinea left and sometimes hangs out with the chickens (1 roo and 3 hens) and sometimes does his own thing. They all roost in the barn rafters at night.

I have a friend who needs to get rid of her birds and one is a guinea (I believe it is a male too and a little over a year old). Would the guinea I have (Splotch is his name) feel better or worse to have another guinea again?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Do I have this posted in the wrong place? If so tell me where to move this to please. I have to let the people know asap. Thanks

I think it's such an individual thing no one can say for sure. I know it will take the new guinea a while to adapt no matter what. Mine stayed in the group they were hatched with for months and then they just all grouped together. They do like to be with their own kind, but if the new one is attached to a chicken or something maybe you could bring that along to ease the transition. Sorry I can't be more help - I would try it.

Thanks. What happened was my friend had 36 birds: 30 hens, 5 roosters and the guinea who all got along. A neighbor complained and they were told they had to get rid of the birds.

THey wanted to try and keep the whole group together and a woman said she would buy their whole flock but my friend told her that they could only wait until 2 pm on Saturday so the woman made up an excuse that she was running late so they agreed to let her leave the money with a neighbor and she would take the birds.

WELL she pulled a fast one on them and only took the pullets leaving them with 5 roos and the guinea, what a dirty trick. There was a show pair of bantam wyandottes they could have sold together as a pair.

Do you think the guinea would do better if they can get someone to take the 5 roos and him? Just trying to look out for him.

Thanks.

frow.gif

I am not an expert & I'm sorry your friend was taken advantage of....
I personally would take the guinea & see how it goes in a way I think all will
work out
thumbsup.gif

PS look for some guinea hens too hehe
smack.gif
lol

From what I've read guineas like guinea company so I think I would at least try with your friend's guinea. Since you have chickens as well it might seem just like home! ( and it's probably a small pool of people looking for 5 roosters and a guinea) I'm sorry about your friend's situation. Good luck.

I took in this guinea referred to in this post Thursday night since the people had to get rid of their birds. I had cared for it for a few days when it was younger so was happy to try it at the camp where I work with the one remaining guinea there.

I put it in a big crate in their barn Thursday night and was going to leave it in there for a few days but when I went in the morning the other guinea (Splotch) and he were doing so well through the crate that I decided to let it out after all the farm animals were out in the pasture. When I let it out they got on just great and were walking around like a little team so I was so very happy.

I brought my camera that evening to take pictures and to my dismay the new guinea (Company) was gone. I inquired and this girl who works there (and lives closest to the barn) and always has her dog tied out said they saw it at the beach, a distance away from the farm and that her dog was chasing it (on a long lead). She didn't realize it was a different guinea but now she will keep an eye out. Her darn dog is tied outside most of the day until summer camp starts so either her dog or something else must have spooked it. I feel just terrible and have been saying my prayers for Company and hoping he will find his way back closer to the farm and the other guinea. I feel like such an idiot for letting him out so soon but I honestly thought they would stay together since Splotch was so happy to have a buddy and so was Company.

I am so upset about this that all I do is say prayers for it to be OK and come back. There will be a lot of campers in about a month and perhaps they could herd this guinea back to where it should be. I hope I see it soon and feel like such a stupid jerk and my heart hurts so much for this guinea. I don't know where it is hanging out but hoping not too far away. It is used to it's old set up where they would go inside a coop every night. There are plenty of buildings and shelters so I hope he is OK. ANy suggestions or tips for me?

If I find him and set up food in a crate the problem is this is a wooded area and another animal could get it and I cannot be there all day to be ready to close the crate.

I personally think he would probably like to have another guinea to hang out with. They might fight at first, but that is because they need to figure out which one is the toughest (called the pecking order) and then they probably won't fight. Guinea roosters don't fight like chicken roosters do. I would definitely get the other guinea if I was you to give yours some company.

Back
Top Bottom