need answer quickly please!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AHappychick, Jan 12, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I am shipping out fertile eggs today, I had the ones I was sending in a cool room, but wanted to add an extra so this mornig when I went to get my eggs a hen was laying on them. Now they are all warm! have these eggs been too warmed up to ship???? should I ask her to wait a day and collect again tomorrow before a pullet has the chance to sit on them, or do you think it will be fine to send one of the eggs that was warm????

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They should be fine. The cool part of it is just for storing, you could send them as soon as the hens drop them if you wanted to.

3. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:so you dont think that the incubation has been triggered yet and that the shipping in this weather wont cool them to much killing the baby chick?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    No, the hens take a while to lay sometimes, and they always tuck the eggs under them. Any eggs will be warm when the hen first gets off the nest after laying, but it won't affect the eggs.

5. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    I think that it would be fine to go ahead and send them.

6. I think that the hen has to be sitting on them for quite awhile before they get to a temperature where they start to split the cells in the egg. I think it is natures way because a hen will lay a clutch for days before she actually sets for the broody period.

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Thanks so much!!! they are going out now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by