1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEED ANSWER SUGGESTIONS ASAP PLEASE :) Garden hose with poultry nipples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kitten4686, Mar 22, 2016.

1. kitten4686

kitten4686 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    Southern Illinois
    Just wondering if anyone has attached the water nipples to a garden hose rather than pvc... seen it done on YouTube... but they placed little cups under it... so I'm wondering if it leaks doing it that way? Working on water system next few days so any help would be great :)

2. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    Seems like you could not get them to seal against the hose. Also I think it would be hard to get the water pressure low enough to not leak, even if you did have a good seal. I think those can only handle a few pounds of pressure, and that it when they are screwed to a solid surface. There might be a way to make it work but it doesn't seem like the best idea.

3. kitten4686

kitten4686 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    Southern Illinois
    It will be a gravity flow so not too much power ;/

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    The cups underneath i would assume are used in nipple systems that are in the coop, just to catch drips from the nipples when the birds are using them and more than likely not related to leakage.

i used suspended buckets with nipples - i find it easier to clean the insides of the buckets properly.

All the best with your project
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by