Need answer to question chickens are dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by henney penny, Feb 6, 2011.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I was asked this question and I don`t know the answer but thought someone on here could help.A lady asked if I know what was wrong with her chickens she has 46 and feb. 1st she noticed that some had cold like symptoms sneezing,watery eyes and trouble breathing,feb. 2nd she lost her first one and four more since then.She has had anecropsy done and nothing,she is keeping a diary for the state vet and has heard nothing yet,can anyone help her with an answer?Thnaks

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Tell her to request a Poultry Respiratory PCR Panel from her vet on one of the sick birds. It can be done from a throat swab. It will tell her if her birds have one of the seven poultry respiratory diseases that cause a carrier state in exposed birds. Her vet can get the information from this website: http://zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

Good
    luck to your friend. I am surprised the necropsies haven't pinpointed the problem.

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Thanks so much I will tell her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by