Need Anwser Soon! How to bring injured chicken inside the house.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Vermont Poultry, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Our almost 5 month old Wyandotte cockerel injured the base of his comb on his beak, its -7 degrees and I don't want to bring him inside the house just for him to die of shock. Any ways I can do this safely?? There is frozen blood all over him, I saw it last night and it was minor so I though I stopped the bleeding, I also moisturized everyone's combs and wattles. How do I do this safely? I need to clean him up because his feathers are clumped together.

2. Vermont Poultry

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Its so cold in fact when I went to walk my dog after about 30 seconds she couldn't stand and just rolled over to give her feet a brake.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You're right to be concerned about taking your roo from very cold temps to very warm, but he won't go into heat stress in the time it will require to render first aid. You'll know if he's approaching heat stress if his comb and wattles and skin on his face becomes cherry red. Just return him outside if that happens.

If you have Blu-kote on hand, it's the best thing to paint onto raw wounds to protect and camouflage so he can safely be returned to his flock.

If you ever need to bring a chicken inside during a deep cold spell, it's best to expose them to warmer temps gradually.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Put him in a Dog crate.......Let him warm up a bit.......He will be okay in a crate....The shock wont kill him.....

Wash his blood off with a rag as best as you can.....Then put him back out......Liquid band aid works great on Comb injuries....

Cheers!

5. Vermont Poultry

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Thanks for the responses. I wrapped him in a towel in the coop, spent about 10 minutes outside warming him up. Put him in a box in the bathroom with the window open, was about 50 degrees in there, then I slowly warmed up the bathroom. Now it is a few degrees below room temp, he is doing fine right now. I am feeding him cracked corn, oats, pellets all in warm water. He started by eating off my finger but has since gained strength back and would rather eat from the bowl. He lost a reasonable amount of blood for a chicken, and his wattles are a bit swollen, and it was not bleeding from the base like I thought, it is bleeding from the tops of his comb. Box is covered in blood and I finally got it to stop bleeding. The heated waterer and feeder have blood all on them in the coop. Should have brought him in last night but I thought I stopped the bleeding, didn't realize he would let the pullets peck him. Overall he is way better in just under an hour. Funny story, just before I brought him inside I went to collect the 3 eggs in the nesting box, and was walking out of the coop, slipped and fell broke all 3, fed them to the chickens which went insane to have a bite.

6. Vermont Poultry

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    I will have to pick up some bluekote. We will return him Sunday were oddly it will be about 44 degrees. My dog is not happy about this situation.

7. chickens really

That is good......Liquid Band aid works to stop the bleeding will seal off the injury.....Blu-kote will stop the others from pecking him.......

Wow....Your having quit the time, that is for sure.......I tripped once coming out of my Coop with a pocket of eggs...Broke all the eggs in my pocket...lol.......When it rains, it pours!!!

Best of luck to you and the Rooster....

Cheers!

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Good to hear you have the situation in hand. Also glad you weren't hurt in the fall. Your hens will replace the broken eggs.

9. Vermont Poultry

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    He is doing better, he's been outside for the past few days. It began bleeding again because the chickens were pecking him, when one of my family members went to the store I asked them to get blue-kote which they got something else, so we are picking that up today. Haha when we had him in the house he woke me up at 5 am crowing, also noticed that since I was handling him so much hand he was alone he started showing some slightly aggressive behavior, when I reached into the cage he pecked me once and then later started dancing around my hand, don't know if he was 'lonely' or was telling me to back off. The tips of his comb turned black even while inside and have since shriveled up and started to fall off, I would like to dub him this spring but I don't know how to do it without causing lots of pain. Anyway he is doing fine and is even less skittish.

10. chickens really

lol.....Yep he was telling you off in Rooster fashion.......

Glad he is feeling better........Blu-kote him up and I wish you all the best....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by