need appetite stimulant for dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 3goodeggs, May 28, 2010.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    The dog That I refer to as 'Hoover', because he vacuums up everything, edible or not...dug up the buried compost and ate it. He went to the vet and he is on pepto and a anti diarrhea pill but he will not eat. Considering that he was squirting blood, I do not blame him, but he has not eaten in a week. I have tried rice, egg yolk, coddled egg, boiled chicken... I am making him chicken soup now.. nothing.
    Is there an appetite pill? Is there something to give him to STIMULATE appetite? He goes at 36 pounds and is now at 27. I am not a pusher of food onto picky eaters, I do not subjugate myself to the whims of fussy eaters... but this is not fussy, it is just non existent.

2. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    I'd take him back to the vet, something isn't right.

3. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    No car. It will have to wait until tomorrow, so I was hoping I could get something in him now. He is maybe 15 or 18. so I may be looking at the end of his life.
    He is feeling better, you can tell, and the diarrhea has stopped, he just won't eat.
    Oh well. Things happen. I just wish he had not dug up the compost. From here on out if it can't be fed to the chickens, it goes into the garbage.
    I'll make an appointment with the vet again. thanks anyway.

4. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Is he drinking water? He needs to be kept hydrated until you can get him into the vet. Sheeze I hope it isn't some kind of blockage. B-12 is an appetite stimulant. You can get it at Tractor Supply. They have a small tube that has probiotics and B-12 together. It's a pink gel that comes in what looks like a small horse wormer thing.
    The problem with that is he might have a physical reason for not eating besides getting into trash.
    I hope he feels better soon!

5. ChickenFanaticAB

ChickenFanaticAB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    GA
    Try baby food...that was all our dog would eat after she had surgery for cancer...and only if we hand fed her...maybe she got a little bit spoiled during that time, but she deserved it, and it sounds like he does too [​IMG] hope you can get him to eat and feeling better!

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    If he has been refusing to eat that long I would not try to get him to eat now without a return trip to the vet. There could be a blockage or other internal damage that food will only compound. He's telling you that something is wrong, now you just have to find out what.

7. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Thanks everybody. I boiled some chicken breast with some rice, salt, and garlic. He ate bits out of my hand yesterday and is his 'hoovering' self today! We are discussing a follow up to the vet today just to make sure, and the b-12 probiotics sounds really good. He will need to repopulate his intestine with the good stuff. He has stopped the diarrhea, but I want to make sure something is able to come out... Pets and children, they are such a worry.
    It is nice to have a sounding board here on BYC. Having other ideas from outside our own worried and frozen brains is so helpful. Thanks all. [​IMG]

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I'm glad he is feeling better! Dogs are pretty smart when it comes to stomach upsets. They seem to know when the belly needs more rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by