1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need assistance on sexing 2 - 3 week old Delawares **New pic**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MadabtChickens, Feb 8, 2012.

1. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    I am going to pick up some Deleware chicks this weekend and want to make sure I do the best I can at getting all pullets. Is there any way other than feather sexing to tell? Does anybody have pictures of 2-3 week old pullets and cockerels so maybe I can tell the difference? Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    They have single combs, you should get the ones with the smallest combs. At 2-3 weeks old, the cockerals should have larger redder combs

3. MadabtChickens

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    Thank you!

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    This is the best way at 2-3 weeks. Feather sexing works best on 1-3 day old chicks. The cockerels' combs will be slightly bigger and have the beginnings of pink coming in.

5. MadabtChickens

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    Well, I picked them up today and I've got to say it was really hard. I have no idea what sex(es) I have. I'm thinking maybe they're not as old as the lady says they are. Anyway, here's pics. Do I need to include full body pics also?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I picked the ones with the smallest combs, but most of them looked the same. Anybody have guesses on their sexes?

6. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    They all look like girls to me. However, they're too young to be able to tell for sure.

7. MadabtChickens

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    I figured it was a crap shoot once I got a look at all of them. Crossing my fingers for pullets and I'll post pics in a few weeks if I still can't tell. Thank you!

8. MadabtChickens

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    Okay. I have an idea of 2 of them. The one in the front is a pullet, the one behind her is a cockerel, and the 2 behind them I'm not sure of.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I think the only cockerel there is the obvious one. :)

10. MadabtChickens

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    I'm hoping that's the only cockerel. I'm still hoping it's a pullet with a fast growing comb. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by