need assistance with an injured rooster

stam249

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
Yesterday my chickens where attacked by a coyote. Now my rooster is walking around with his head hang low or resting his beek on the ground. last night I had to pick him up and put him on the roosting pole. And when i did, I felt his whole and just about when i got to his scull I noticed that second or first vertebra from the scull was shifted to the left ( point of reference is looking him face on) Any one have information or know how realign the neck on a rooster. Hes my only rooster Im just worried with his condition he not get the right amount of food and water. Hes a great rooster I don't what to make him freezer meet yet.

Any information would be great, Thank you!!!!!!!!

First, I would get him inside where it is quiet, dark and warm. If he can eat/drink, I would provide him with electrolytes and water. If he is having trouble eating/drinking, I would mix up a warm mash with chicken food, vitamins and electrolytes and feed him that. Maybe a baby aspirin to help with pain/swelling. Then, I would get him to the vet. Messing with vertebrae is a scary thing...one wrong move and he's a goner....I don't think I would let him roost...the hop down could kill him.

Good luck...keep us posted!

He's all better now. A little bit of PTSD but he's all better and his old self.

hugs.gif
glad he is better.
I had a roo struck by a hawk a while thanks to the peafowl i was able to get to him before the hawk finished him off.
Anyhow he was the same way but his eyes were kinda dislocated from the impact, but he too fully recovered , these birds are tougher than people realize.
Now that roo sits in the woods by himself by a tree and keeps watch and if he See's anything strange he gives the call and all the chickens take notice and retreat to safety
Just wanted to tell you it may have been a hawk that hit him and he got away

Back
Top Bottom