Need brainstorming ideas

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rarebreedeggs4u, Aug 20, 2010.

1. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I'll be putting water & electric lines to the barn in a month or two. I have several breeder pens in the barn and two brooder areas with multiple cages (like 12), plus outdoor hutches. I'll need to keep the quail system seperate from the chicken system, which is fine.

I got great suggestions here about using my water buckets with nipple waterers and aquarium heaters. However, I will have to use some type of a bucket hanger, since the bails are pulling loose, including one that crushed 2 BCM and 1 Wheaten Penedesenca chicks. Bucket holders are high priced, so I'm thinking about using a piece of large fencepost to rest most of the bucket on and then secure it to the wall with pipe anchor strapping, where I can slide it in and out for cleaning.

If I choose to use 5 gallon buckets with PVC pipe and nipple waterers for the brooders & stacking quail pens, I'll use an aquarium heater for the bucket, but what about the pipe? Can I use pipe heat wrap tape safely around the birds? Yes, it's outside the wire, but you know how birds are. Where have ya'll found the pipe tape? Lowes.com and Homedepot.com don't seem to have it. We are technically in the South, but you wouldn't know it by the last few winters. I need to plan for weeks straight of below freezing weather with dips to 0.

All of our projects seem to end up being what we call B.F.P.'s which means BIG FLIPPIN PROJECT. [​IMG]

Any ideas, throw them on out! Thanks so much :)

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Every project I have ever undertaken has had babies. That's just the way it is.

Dunno about cold-proofing PVC pipe for nipple waterers, but I do have a suggestion for the 5 gallon buckets: put 'em on up-ended concrete blocks. Like these two photos:
    [​IMG]

And for a bucket with nipples on the bottom, not installed into PVC pipe:
    [​IMG]

Underside:
    [​IMG]

I put a couple of bricks at the base of the concrete block so the bantam breeds could reach the nipples in the bottom of the bucket. My first ever GrandChick taught herself how to reach the nipples, clever girl!
    [​IMG]

I even use nipple waterers in the brooder:
    [​IMG]

3. rarebreedeggs4u

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    This is exactly the kids of advice I need, keep 'em coming! Thanks so much [​IMG]

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    gryeyes, nice waterers! [​IMG] I'm going to make those for my birds and replace the old waterers that are distributed around the yard as soon as the weather cools. Thanks for sharing.

5. gryeyes

Yah, while it's so hot, I also have additional sources of water around the yard for 'em. One fairly large (and really sucky to clean and fill!) "poultry fountain" and a chick waterer, plus a large plastic cookie bucket and a dish pan with water in 'em all, scattered about. I was afraid they'd stop drinking from the nipple waterers when they only had to dip their beaks in the other pans and things, but I see everybody using the nipple waterers on a regular basis. I just don't want ANY dehydrated birds!

I'll be glad when I can take those other tubs and things up in the cooler weather, too.

6. rarebreedeggs4u

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    OK, buckets are out and reinstalled. I took the ones out that were still hanging and got the others that the bails had broken on. I used concrete blocks up on end in all pens (except the Bantam Lavenders, their's is on it's side), put the buckets slightly offset on the top and then anchored them to the wall with pipe anchor strapping. This is the metal strapping with holes in it for anchoring pipes to walls or studs. Since I had already installed the nipple waterers in the buckets, they were centered and not ideal for placing on a concrete block. With the strapping in a loop screwed to the walls, I can reuse my buckets AND make sure that they will NOT fall off on my feathered kids. I'll probably use the aquarium heaters in these during the winter.

Today (if I have time), I'll start working on cage watering systems!

7. gryeyes

Quote:I forgot to mention I use a bungee cord to hold the one bucket against a T-post, so it doesn't fall off that concrete block onto any unsuspecting drinkers. Especially since I have a couple of youngsters who like to fly to the top of it and then launch themselves across the run from that higher perch.

8. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

I just wanted to post this thread about aquarium heaters so you are aware of the risks if you decide to use one of those:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=389587

As an alternative, someone posted a thread about using a cookie tin and a light bulb to make a waterer warmer. You could even try a bird bath heater. My lame solution for my nipple waterer will probably involve a string of outdoor christmas lights.

9. rarebreedeggs4u

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Quote:Thank you for posting the link [​IMG] At least Christmas lights will be festive :) My alternative may be heated dog water bowls. I'm still trying to find the heated pipe tape and not having much luck.

10. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Being nosey...where is Morrow?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by