Need breed advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TexasVet, Jan 27, 2009.

1. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I'm driving myself nuts trying to figure out what breed of chicken or duck to raise! I had Rio Grande turkeys last year and was averaging $25 or so per 6-egg sale on Ebay. But Tom turkeys are a pain in the butt, so I sold them off.

Now I'm looking for a breed of duck or chicken whose eggs will sell well on eBay. I was thinking about Mandarin ducks, but hear that hatching the eggs is hard to do. And I can't locate a source for a couple of breeding pairs that are reasonably priced.

So now I'm thinking about bantams. Any suggestions on a breed that is in demand? What about sultans, or bottled houdans, or golden polish?

Kathy in Texas

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Ya know there was a recent discussion on the Breeds and Genetics section I believe that was asking opinions on the next bubble breed.... meaning the next rage for selling price wise.

You might want to check the thread out and see what you think about the opinions there..

Best of luck choosing !!!!!!!

Julie [​IMG]

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
  4. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Jab, thanks for the suggestion! I found the discussion but it seems that the only agreement is that there is no agreement. Everybody seems to have their personsal favorite.

Somebody mentioned the Spitzhauben, which is I breed that I'd already considered, so I may go check them out again.

Kathy in Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by