Need breed ID

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morglez, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Morglez

Morglez Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2016
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]

I was wondering if someone could clue me in on the breed of this chicken. I think it's a female, but not 100% sure since I am new to all this, lol. She(?) just randomly showed up on our property a couple weeks ago, and hasn't left. We have a flock of our own, so we don't mind this one joining. I have been leaving feed and water out for it. Our flock hasn't fully accepted her yet, but they are letting her hang around. She has found a tree in the fenced in portion of our property to perch in at night that keeps her safe, so I feel better about that. Since it is looking like we have a new addition, I was curious about the breed. Thanks in advance!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I'd say hatchery quality Blue Andalusian. Definitely a pullet.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Morglez

Mar 4, 2016
    Central Florida
    Right after posting this, I got confirmation on sex... found a pretty white egg in the nesting box. All my girls lay brown, so I know it was hers, lol.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Queen Misha but, please don't allow her to roost in trees, chickens don't want to move in the dark - so she would be a sitting duck to owls or raccoons, etc.

5. Morglez

Mar 4, 2016
    Central Florida

Unfortunately it's not by choice. We don't have anywhere else to put her, and even if we did, she won't let us get close to her to catch her. Luckily we don't have a problem with owls, and raccoons don't go into the fenced portion of our yard, because of our horse. That's where the tree is. If it was up to us, she would be in the coop with the other chickens. Hopefully soon the others will allow her to join the flock so she can roost with them at night.
    Also, thanks for the breed ID :)

6. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Ok I have a question. The ear lobes are not white but she laid a white egg? I thought white egg layers has white lobes? Somebody clear up my confusion, thanks!

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    She looks to be a young bird. And she looks to developing white earlobes.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She doesn't have the classic white enamel lobes, true. I think it's likley just a hatchery quality thing, were she a breeder's bird she'd not be used in the breeding pen.

It does look like the center of her lobes are white. I think is't just a flaw, not necessarily a mix. Mixing a white egger with any other color is going to give you that other color egg, so mixed breeding is pretty easy to see.

9. Morglez

Mar 4, 2016
    Central Florida
    I noticed that about the ear lobes as well. It looks like they are white in the middle, and red on the outer edges. Interesting :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by