Need brooder help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 7L Farm, Apr 7, 2011.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I use a horse trough to brood my yard birds will this work for Coturnix. When do they begin to fly out of the brooder? I wanted to use the trough first & then move them into a cage right before they start flying out of the horse trough.

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Your horse trough will work fine. Lots of folks use them for brooders. They will fly out at about 2 weeks. Cover the top and you can keep them there a lot longer. Scrap plywood and screen will work fine for a cover. Needs to be cat proof if your putting them in the barn. Did I mention I hate cats? Well, I guess thats another thread... [​IMG] Bill

3. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I'm not a cat fan either. Thanks for the response. I'll be using a metal shed for the brooder. I have a wire cage I'll probably use that around two weeks. It will be easier to use the trough at first for adding food, water ,cleaning , & all .

4. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    I'm not sure how tall a horse trough is, but a 5 day old coturnix can jump/scale a good 12-15+ inches. 3 days later...when their wing feathers are sprouting good...Could be double.
    This is why I put a top on all my coturnix brooders from day one. It just saves me a bunch of heart ache!

Coturnix are over-hyped for the most part, but if you are on a chicken schedule in a coturnix world, then those little fuzzy butts will be flying up your nose while you sleep.

They mature/grow very fast!

5. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Thats why I'm asking.The trough is a couple of feet high. I can design a top no problem. Thanks

6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    You are asking the right questions my friend [​IMG]

This coturnix chick hatched 032511. It's about 15 days old. [​IMG]

That's how crazy fast they grow. Long before they can fly, they can jump like a bottle rocket. I would much rather tell folks to put a lid on the brooder, rather than trying to instruct them how to collect escapees.

Good luck with your coturnix endeavors! They will shock and amaze you with their crazy fast maturation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by