Need Broody Duck Advice ASAP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Feathered Wings, May 17, 2010.

1. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I have a Grey Broody call hen and she made a nest on the ground under a shelter.
    The nest is protected and she added feathers and leaves to it and all has went well until now at hatch.
    This morning I found one of the just hatched ducklings cold and on his back about a foot from the nest, there was another one under her and 2 more eggs with pips.
    I took both hatched ducklings to the house and put them in with my 2 day old incu call baby's for fear she was tossing them as they hatched.
    If things go wrong with the next hatched one I will remove it also

My questions are
    #1 Do you think it would be possible to put these back with the mother after the hatch is over and her except them?
    #2 Would it be better if I just brood them my self or would they be better off with their mother?

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I would definetly just brood them yourself. Calls are not difficult to raise in an artificial brooder. If left with her, she could or could not accept them. I wouldn't want to take the chance.

3. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    One of my broodies booted her babies from the nest. I found all seven of them huddled behind her nest box, after apparently hatching during the night. And the mom duck just wanted desperately to be back with the rest of the flock. She ran away from those babies and 'quack, quack, quaked' to be let out of the pen. I happened to have another duck with seven two day old ducklings who happily included them with her brood. About three days later, the original mom seemed desperate to contribute to the mothering (now hovering outside and looking longingly at the babies) and I cautiously let her back in the "nursery" pen and both ducks happily shared mothering over the next few weeks. It was really kind of sweet.

But I do agree with 1lpoock. And I think it makes them nicer pets when hand raised and mom probably won't miss them.

p.s. and update on to how things went would be great.

Last edited: May 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by