Need bumblefoot advice asap!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cranman, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Cranman

Cranman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    [​IMG]

You can click on the picture to see a larger image.

So I think my rooster has bumblefoot. I read some info earlier on how to treat it but I ran into some problems. I did see a few scabs on his feet but I see similiar on the other foot and it's not swollen. I tried to cut out one scab on the bottom of the swollen foot which is the bloody spot in the picture. I never saw any white pus and nothing comes out of the hole except blood. I tried to root around with the exacto knive in there *ouch* but still only blood.

Advice please! Maybe it's not bumblefoot? It sure looked like it and the swelling has gotten worse today.

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    are you looking for it in the right place, by the look of the pic. it might be on the top of the toe by your fingers

3. Cranman

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    Yes there is a dark spot that could be a scab on the toe, but would that make the middle of the foot swell? The spot I cut out looks similiar to the one close to my thummb in the picture...but no pus underneath, unless I need to go deeper?

4. Cranman

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    Sorry I just read your reply closer, and I didn't notice anything on top of the toes but maybe I need to look closer.

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Here. This is from another site.

As this is a bacterial infection it can be treated by the use of antibiotics. It is recommended that the chicken be taken to the vets for the foot to be examined where a course of antibiotics will be administered. Treatment should be obtained quickly as this infection can quickly cause further problems for the chicken with extreme swelling sometimes leading to surgery being the only treatment option.

The foot should be disinfected and this can be through an antibacterial animal spray or the use of a controlled iodine solution. Whilst the foot is healing the chicken should be kept in a controlled area with clean soft bedding to avoid further irritation on the foot. The infection usually clears up within 7 days, but it concerned you should return to your vet.

There are home remedies that some people claim to help relieve the infection without needing to have vet treatment. These include bathing the area and disinfecting as described above then applying an ointment of either Calendula cream or Comfrey cream to the area morning and evening to cleanse the infection and reduce the swelling allowing the area to naturally heal.

"Clean the foot completely with warm salty water and look for the puss spot. Lance it with a modellers knife or scalpel and squeeze out the puss if you are able or just tease out the head with the scalpel point or cotton buds.

Put some salt on it for a minute or 2 then rinse off, dry well and then apply Germolene antiseptic cream 2 times a day on a fabric plaster. Wrap the foot up as best you with more plaster strip (only where the affected by the bumblefoot) cleaning the wound each time you redress it as before. Make sure the bedding is clean where the bird is kept. You may make the infection go but the swollen bit often stays for longer."

Although some chicken keepers swear that home methods of treatment are effective, if you suspect the infection is worsening or not improving do seek advice from a vet so that the chicken is not suffering.

6. Cranman

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    Reply from: Buck Creek Chickens "are you looking for it in the right place, by the look of the pic. it might be on the top of the toe by your fingers"

You were correct! I guess the swelling got worse overnight and it was more evident from the top of one toe where the swelling was.

[​IMG]

Here's Rusty after tucking his head under his wing, laying down on his side and covering with the towel. He stayed that way the whole time and my son kept gentle pressure on him with one hand just to be sure he didn't try to jump up during the procedure.

[​IMG]

After the incision and some massaging a few bursts of pus welled up and ran out. Yuck. Then some more massaging and the yellowish "cheese" looking stuff popped out a few times.

[​IMG]

Finally we felt like I had cut and dug around enough. No hard kernel was found, or even a scab or plug, so maybe it was something like a thorn or splinter that caused the infection. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow!

Last pic after being bandaged up!

[​IMG]

7. ipana

ipana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    Looks like you did a fine job, Cranman. Hope it solves the problem for Rusty...and you.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What a great job, and the bandage looks so professional too...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by