Need Bumblefoot guidance - help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fatcatx, Nov 1, 2014.

1. fatcatx

fatcatx Songster

Our Orpington has bumblefoot and I need some help in tackling it - this is our first time.
    We watched at least a dozen videos beforehand and felt pretty confident going in. We used a scapel to cut around the scabby part but despite frequent soakings and massages, could not get any cheesy gunk or goo to come out and none was apparant directly under the scab. It all looked like meaty healthy red tissue so we were reluctant to keep cutting. We sterilized and bandaged it to tackle it another day. When we unwrapped it did not look any better or worse other than our cut is healing over. We've attempted to feel the pad to locate the area of the infection but it all feels the same - no hard knots.

First pic is what it looked like today after unwrapping and soaking. Where do we go from here? Should we cut down straight into the pad? I feel like we're cutting blind and don't want to splay open her foot where it is healthy.
    The second pic is the other foot which is getting infected as well. Should we cut into the seconde foot now or wait until the bad foot has a few days to heal?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
  3. fatcatx

fatcatx Songster

Thank you for the link! I am busy reading through it to see what info I can get. Appears she had a few where she had issues getting to the infection too.

Examined roost and ramp already. Nice and smooth. She is a very heavy meaty bird - built like a small turkey - which I think is the main problem since the other birds show no signs (she is our only Orp.)

Anyone else have the problem where you can't see or feel where the kernal is? I was able to get my hands on a biopsy punch today. Should I use it to punch straight down where the scab was? Or is cutting in with the scalpel a better strategy?

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    The punch will be easier if it is large enough to cover the area. But it is a little more difficult to judge the depth. Whichever you feel more comfortable with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: