Need Bumblefoot/Infection Help Please

SandyK

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Eldersburg, Maryland
Hi Everyone,

I took in this hen maybe two springs ago. She came to me with a large Bumblefoot on one of her toes which I immediately started working on. I did get a lot of stuff out of it, but it was still a large swollen toe. It did heal then came back again this summer. I've been working on and off all summer with it. The Vetericin worked in the beginning, now it wasn't working any longer, so I changed to Penicilllin and more warm soaks with Epsom Salt.

I've treated her with the Penicillin for 7 days now and it is still swollen and open sore. This is my routine, I soak her foot twice a day, then rebandage it up using Neosporin, a drop of honey, and a squirt of Vetericin. Wrapping it in vet wrap real good. She stays in a clean cage with hay. I have let her out a couple times for a short while to visit with the other girls and take a dirt bath.

The swelling has gone down from where we were, but it still has a large bump on the toe and of course the hole where I try and squeeze any of the infection out of.

So should I keep her on the Penicillin longer, change to another medication? Or stop altogether.

Any suggestions or help would be so appreciated. She is a sweet Barred Rock, about 21/2-3 years old I think. Good layer and healthy otherwise. I really need to get this under control because the cold weather will be here and it is so much to bring her all the way up to the house and do the soaks and wrapping each day. Plus I'm sure she has had enough about now.

Thank you all for being there for our questions all the time. A great forum for us.

Sandy

This is a picture of it now and the second picture is 8 days ago. I do think it has gone down some even thought the picture looks worse. The blue around the first picture is from Bluecoat or whatever I used for a few days in the beginning. Nasty, messy stuff. I think I had more on me than her.

What we did with ours under direction of a vet was we treated with furisin, we put a good layer on the infected area, then we put gauze over it and wrapped with vet wrap. Repeat for 3 weeks each time cleaning and working the core out of the infection site. Once we got the core completely removed we put hibitaine cream on it and wrapped it and she had healed beautifully. The down side is furisin is not a natural way to treat and you must where gloves(although you should be wearing gloves anyway since bumble foot is a form of staph infection)but it worked and it was not evasive and after the treatment the core was coming to the surface and the second week the core basically popped out with easy and since she had 2 sites the third week the second core popped out with little force.

Thank you so much for the reply. I did find both meds on line, hopefully. I can find them at tractor supply or somewhere else local. Question, I'm not sure that there is a core in there any longer. I have dug around trying to find and get the infection out, but no core like I've seen before. So should I still use these, I would assume so since it is an infection. We also have a southern states nearby I could try there too.

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer. If this gets her better I will be so grateful!!!!!

Sandy

ou should be able to find both anywhere there is horse supplies, or at a vet clinic. Although I am uo in canada so I'm not sure if it is different there. I would the furisin is designed to draw any infection out, if there is still a bump and it has not gone away I'd say there is something lingering.
My fingers are crossed for you as well

Back
Top Bottom