Need BYC help for writer's block. What article do *you* want to read?

ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
15 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
My Coop
I write a little column about urban chickens, but it really amounts to info about pet chickens or small flocks. I've used pics and questions from BYCers before and have been inspired to write many of them based on commonly asked questions. Much of it reads like quick How-to stuff...but I'm stumped and haven't written in more than a month.

What article topic would you like to read? How about a multi-part series about something? What are you wondering about? A list of topics I've done is on my BYC page, with links, or you can see 4 pages of my stuff here.

Thanks!

Edited because my hands are too cold to type.

Last edited:
I would love to help you out. I tried to check your pages, but my computer is too slow, and it would take me forever to read through all your entries. Can you just post a list of things you have already covered, and we can go from there?

Just because you have already covered something does not mean it should not be revisited. That is one of the problems of periodical writing. You can venture a decent guess that new readers will not have read past postings so you need to go over material again without severely boring repeat visitors.

I m having constant issues of flock integration and flock "politics". I have a momma chicken with four babies that need to be reintegrated into the flock. When I tried the momma beat the snot out of one of the other hens (injured her enough that then She needed to be pulled out, let heal and reintegrated, bah!) Articles on flock society would be helpful.

Feeding chickens. There is so many discussions about this & so many different brands.You read don't feed laying pellets till their laying etc. I live about 25 miles from Bryan, College Station which is home of the Texas AM . They have a co-op their that blends their own feed. They have a laying pellet there that you can feed from as early as 8 weeks . The point is I'm still worried because all I read about on this forum is it will hurt my chickens. Maybe , you see my point maybe not. Its kind of confusing. Maybe its just me.

How to integrate/reintegrate new birds into established flocks.

Feeding. The simple "feed only layer rations and nothing else" is not sufficient. There ARE other options.

The importance of sanitation in incubating and brooding.

Watering options, particularly in cold climates and mobile coops (i.e. tractors).

The range of options for dealing with aggressive roosters.

What to do with spent hens ranging from soup to rehoming.

What to do with manure and soiled bedding. Throwing it away is a terrible waste.

Five good dual purpose breeds and where to find good stock.

If you're keeping birds for just eggs then consider the specialized egg laying breeds such as White Leghorns and how to keep them.

The advantages and disadvantages of stationary coops and yards, movable coops, and free ranging and when one is better than the other according to the reader's circumstances.

All of the above topics have been covered before but we have lots of new folks coming along every day that haven't seen what went before. These things need repeating every so often.

A.T. Hagan :

How to integrate/reintegrate new birds into established flocks.

Feeding. The simple "feed only layer rations and nothing else" is not sufficient. There ARE other options.

The importance of sanitation in incubating and brooding.

Watering options, particularly in cold climates and mobile coops (i.e. tractors).

The range of options for dealing with aggressive roosters.

What to do with spent hens ranging from soup to rehoming.

What to do with manure and soiled bedding. Throwing it away is a terrible waste.

Five good dual purpose breeds and where to find good stock.

If you're keeping birds for just eggs then consider the specialized egg laying breeds such as White Leghorns and how to keep them.

The advantages and disadvantages of stationary coops and yards, movable coops, and free ranging and when one is better than the other according to the reader's circumstances.

All of the above topics have been covered before but we have lots of new folks coming along every day that haven't seen what went before. These things need repeating every so often.

You are fabulous.

I'm on it!​

Quote:
You're on dial-up!!?? You poor thing- some of these threads must kill you!

If you go to my BYC page , there is a list of the topics with links to each article. I've got a few more than listed, but most of them are there.

Better yet, let me list most of it all here:

Mumble the Pen-hen spared from the pot
Predator season hits royalty, too
Entrepreneurial opportunities & the pet chicken market
The heat & your chickens
5 questions about backyard chickens, take two
A reason for no roosters in some urban areas
How to be the Lord of the Flies
Chicken Zombies: Broody hens
Would you look at the size of that egg?
A true cost analysis of a backyard flock
Hatchery sites for ordering chicks
Annual garden tour features backyard coops
Introducing new birds to your flock
Moving new chicks to the coop
The chick is in the mail
Chick choices include incubators
4 common questions regarding city chickens
5 chicken blogs
How to get your chickens to go into the coop at night
The cold and your chickens
10 important features in a chicken coop
L.A. limits roosters to one per household
Quiche me! I'm yours!
Cooking pasture-raised chicken
60+ chickens released in Iowa City protest
Sicky chicky
TV for chickens
Chicken tractors
**Predator prevention**
Pet chicken pop culture: Demi Lovato
New chicken city: Buffalo, NY
The scoop on poop
Coop tour: Lawrence submissions
Breeds for the city
Why have chickens in the city?
How to know if your brooder is the right temperature
5 myths about backyard flocks
How to raise chickens in your bathtub

Question on "WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIR" about chickens today.

Interesting answer. A farmer can tell if a chicken will lay white eggs or brown eggs
by the color of their ears.

I've never heard that before.

But I would like to read an article on the quality of eggs. Are there a difference between
brown eggs and white eggs. I can see no difference beyond the shell. I have people who
swear they can taste the difference...want only brown eggs.

Never had an easter egger myself.

But is there a difference between eggs?

And is there a difference between free range eggs and commercial eggs?

I only know of a few reasons to be keeper of the flock. Eggs, meat, or pets.
Mine are strickly pets. Wouldn't eat them for the world. But we do use /give away
the eggs.

I would love to write an article discussing eggs, flavor and quality thereof, and perhaps another about color and differences.

Thanks for the idea!

Back
Top Bottom