Need candling advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Habibs Hens, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    i was a bit impatiant and decided to candle today at 4 days incubation

i have 6 buff orpingtons eggs

what has confused me prefusely is the results i got

4 eggs look no goes unfortunatly the look as they did when i got them although they are shipped eggs and i suspect a problem with them

They have not loas any weight at all they weigh the same

The other thing is and let me try explain this best i can

The airsac when you look for that as all you vertran are well aware of it usually is slightly slanted to one side of the flat

well my egsg seems to follow that slant when you twist or turn the egg so if i was looking at a slant on the right if i slant the egg to the left the airsac follows

is this normal and i just got dud eggs as my supplier promised me replacement if they are duds as orpingtons are known to fire blanks

or is it a case of airsac rupture???

The other thing is the other 2 eggs they have a tiny black dot which i assume is the embreo and then your supposed to look for veins in a spiderweb style

well i got something but not sure what

comming out of the dot i got what looks like veins but my untrained eye cannot say if its veins or a blood ring as they get fainter but do join in a ring

is that normal vein spread

lastly i weighed the eggs that seem to be developing and that was odd i have got a ~EX bator so its humidity controlled and its set to constant 45%

well both developing eggs had the same result and gaine exactly 2grams in weight rather than loosing

was i right to make the judgement call and reduce RH to 40%

some insite would be great as this is my first incubation

im a incubation virgin

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I would definitely wait to candle again at day 7.
    Then you will know for sure.
    I do not usually do my first candle until day 10 so there is no doubt.
    The egg with the airsac issue may have been damaged in shipping.
    Just wait till day 7 before you do anything.
    Good luck with your hatch!

[​IMG]

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Do not discard any of your eggs yet. The eggs with detached airsacs should be in an upright, big end up position and should NOT be turned for the first 7 days. After that, when you candle, avoid rolling them around, or the detached airsac can disrupt the developing embryo.

4. Habibs Hens

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    They are all still in the bator im not planning on taking them out till atleast a propper day 10 candleing

as for turning well i think that might be too late as they been turned every 3 hours for last 3 days by my auto turner

lastly to ask the weight issue with the increase what you guys/gals think about that?

i am well confused

5. Habibs Hens

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    Anybody????

6. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I don't weigh my eggs, so I can't help you there. [​IMG]

7. Habibs Hens

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    Thanks

i since dropped RH from 45% to 40% and weight about an hour ago

the weight has dropped the 2gram increase and eggs are back to original weight

a few more days should bring them down to what they should be for that incubation day and then i will adjust the RH% again to keep it steady

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would wait till at least day 7 if not 10 to candle. You can use the reference pics linked in my sig for what you are seeing.

As for weight, if your scale is not precise, don't bother with it. A 60 gram egg will lose 6 grams over three weeks. If your scale is not accurate or precise to .1 grams, you won't be able to make heads or tails of the weights. No way can an egg gain weight. Ditch the scale, go by visual inspection.

Shipping is likly the reason for those loose and damaged air sacs... indicates a rough ride. Good luck.

Oh.. and the less you handle them, the better at this stage.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  9. Habibs Hens

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    you have a point

my scale is digital but not to the .1

visually they look sound and airsac is visiabel now as it wasnt before

day 6 is comming to an end and since setting i only handled them maybe 4 times and never twice in 1 day

most times they are in lockdown where i wont even open the lid let alone touch them

will do next inspection on day 10 with a candle and try and get a more accurate scale

10. Habibs Hens

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    comming to day 10 close now so i candled the eggs and found 4 infertile and 2 developing

they are still inside and the 4 discarded

one seems ok veins and all and moving inside

the other is a worry it doesnt seem to be moving and the veins i cant see, but defo an embro inside the egg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by