Need Candling Help! (PICS)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ekemily, Nov 10, 2010.

1. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    I just candled my first eggs today. The air sacs seem really big to me. What do you experts think? This is my first adventure with incubating eggs. I have a Genesis 1588 with auto egg turner. This is day 8. I have 14 eggs total. This is a good representation of what I have. I found it difficult to see through my EE eggs. I'm going to try and find a brighter flashlight. Thanks for your help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 EE egg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that's a dud. I am NOT an expert.

3. ekemily

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    Quote:yeah, I'm kind of hoping a big air sac is a good thing? [​IMG]
    These are all different eggs, not just a pic of the same egg. Most of my eggs look like this, so are they all duds?
    That would be a huge bummer. If there wasn't the possibility of them blowing up in my bator, I would just leave them all in there and see what happens.

4. debilorrah

Quote:yeah, I'm kind of hoping a big air sac is a good thing? [​IMG]
    These are all different eggs, not just a pic of the same egg. Most of my eggs look like this, so are they all duds?
    That would be a huge bummer. If there wasn't the possibility of them blowing up in my bator, I would just leave them all in there and see what happens.

What day are you on?

5. ekemily

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    Day 8

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have the same bator. If those were my eggs, I would keep them in. A non-fertile egg will be clear. At that age, day 8, you will have a dark area on one side. Just like what you have. What worries me is that some of the eggs look porous.

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    As far as the air sac, thats the small clear spot on the left. Its not what I would call big. It looks very normal.

8. debilorrah

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  9. stargazer1974

stargazer1974 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    East Texas
    Those eggs look like ours at about day eight. They were only dark on half and clear on the other half. I thought they might be duds but put them back under my silkie broodie for a few more days. At about day 13 we could see the chicks moving around inside.[​IMG] It was so cool!!! Now we have 2 little beautiful 4 day old mille fleur d'uccle crossed with a BBR OEGB roo. One is marked like him as a chick and one like her as a chick but they are both featherfooted and bearded! I'd say put those back in the incubator for at least a few more days and see what developes! Happy chickening!!![​IMG]

10. ekemily

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    I'm going to put them back in and check them again on Saturday. Thanks for all of your help!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by