Need Chick Info

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by noobi_rooster, May 25, 2007.

1. noobi_rooster

noobi_rooster New Egg

Apr 25, 2007
    First off 'Need chick info look's funny..

Well would anyone know how old the chicks are when we get them from the feed store?? We picked our chicks up on may 16th ..today is may 25th..Any guess ?? I will try to add a pic...

We have our 2 chicks in the house right now with a light over them..We live in michigan so our weather hops around 40's into high 80's ..

My question is should i move them to the garage?? or build a pen with a heated area outside?? 'coop i guess is the term' I have looked at many pens members have posted [​IMG] soooo much info and not sure what is best..

And i see many members ask about feed , grit, scratch, feed with meds in it ??
    I am feeding my chicks chick feed i got from feed store with my chicks...when do i switch...

Sorry for so many questions ..but i am trying [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Noobie......there are no bad questions, when trying to learn how to care for baby anythings. [​IMG]

As for the age....usually they are a few days old when you get them from the feed store. You might go back and ask at the store. they might know.

As far as haveing them in the house....thats a personal preference. I kept mine in the garage, in a "brooder" under a heat lamp. They need to be at 95 degrees the first week, then decrease temp by 5 degrees a week there after untill about 70 degrees...unless the outside temps are higher than that.
    Welcome to the BYC and the wonderfull world of being owned by chickens! [​IMG]
    If you are plannign on only the 2 chickens...a small hen house is fine.(coop) they need 4 square ft per standard size bird.However, I can say fro experience....build larger than you need, you WILL be adding more! [​IMG] LOL Its addictive!

The chick starter is all they will need for the first 20 weeks. It has the grit, and nutrients they need. IF you decide at 4 or 5 weeks to introduce "treats" ( grass, boiled egg, melons and such) It would be a good idea to give them a little "sand box" 2ft x 2 ft will be good...with play sand in it. They will eat what they need for grit.

As for outside....make sure thier yard is predator proof. Chicken wire keeps chickens in, not predators out. Have fun with your new hobby..and pets. They are a blast to watvh grow...and have benefits (eggs) later!

3. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    noobi_rooster where in Michigan are you from? I live in Kalamazoo-Portage. Glad to have another Michigander on board. Welcome. Mary

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I also bought my baby chicks at the feed store. They said they were hatched on Sunday, and I picked them up Monday.. so my little guys were a day old. LOL! I turned into the Agway Stalker, so knew exactly when they were going to hatch <In my own defense I had waited over a month for the little dears>.

As for moving them into the garage.... Our girls outgrew my indoor brooder and had to be moved out there. I HATE IT! I know they love all the extra space, but did I mention I HATE IT??!! I miss their little noises, and I find myself running out there at 2am just to make sure everyone is safe... Plus dh checks them at 6am before he goes to work. I think he secretly likes them LOL!

Meghan

5. New chicken family

New chicken family Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2007
    Madison WI
    We had our babies in the kitchen for the first week - then out in the garage - heated -72' - in a kiddie pool with chicken wire around and a 100 watt lamp. They have done great!
    I plan on moving them out to the big coop - in the yard - today they are 3 1/2 weeks. The light will move with them. They love being in the run during the day - but I will close them up in the coop at night....
    We live in Wisconsin....[​IMG]
    Solvei

6. noobi_rooster

noobi_rooster New Egg

Apr 25, 2007
    [​IMG] Just North of you Mary in the big town of Cheboygan...[​IMG]

It's a little cool up this way being near lake Huron ..:| But it was the chicks or a Goat [​IMG] i went for the small animal first..My hope is for egg's ...and you know the kid's will want 'Hatchlings' [​IMG]

john

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by