1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need chicken entry-door size advice...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by linguafranka, Mar 3, 2012.

1. linguafranka

linguafranka Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Howdy all - I am almost done with my new coop (willpost pics soon!) but I think I cut their little entry door too small - the one they use to enter the enclosed area at night, they walk up a little ramp.
    I cut it about 12" but it looks too small. The chickens are only 6 weeks lod right now, but they shoud grow to normal adult size - medium to large breeds.
    How tall is an adult chicken & how tasll does thei doorway need to be?
    Do they mind stooping?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine is 18" and the roosters always have to duck. They like it wide enough so two can go in or out at once, too, or one may sit in the doorway while another goes by. Is there some reason to keep it small?

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine is 12" tall by 7" wide. My full size Heritage RIRs have no problem entering.
    [​IMG]

4. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    Mine is about 18 inches by 18 inches--depending on how high you raise the door. I have some birds of larger breeds, though. No, I don't think chickens mind bending their heads to go in.

One thing I'd think about when making the door is ensuring that no animal can open the door from the outside. Just spend some time thinking about clever raccoon fingers.

My door sits inside a frame so the raccoon could not reach under and lift the door. For double protection, I also installed two eye screws on either side of the door, on the inside of the coop, and I ran a steel rod through the two eyes so that the door cannot be lifted. (the top of the door hits the steel rod) But, the whole apparatus is simple enough that my 9 yr old can remove the rod and raise the door (via a rope and pulley) in the morning to let the chickens out.

5. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i like daisy8's post. my door (12" wide by probably 18" high) seems to be a good door. it's hinged at the bottom, falls open & performs as a ramp. i soon realized that something like a racoon would be able to force this door so we made adjustments (added a shield door) to prevent this.
    good luck

6. linguafranka

linguafranka Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    thanks everyone. i think we are on the right track now.

our coop is a group project, and someone in the group had cut the doorway a bit on the small side. it was probably fine at 12" square, but i raised the opening up to 18" high.
    with sunshine tomorrow, i hope to take some good pics of the finished product. will share them on this forum!

xoxo,
    jessica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by