Need chicken expert advice on chicks and grit!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovemychix, Nov 6, 2008.

1. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    My babies are 3 weeks old now and I was wanting to give them a few treats here and there. I know grit is an issue when you give them "other" foods. I have a bag of Avian Grit Plus that I used for my parakeets. It says its granite grit, charcoal to relieve hyperacidic stomach, and vitamin, mineral, calcium fortified. It's really small grit. It also says licorice scent to attract pets. Would this be ok to give to my chicks?? Wanted to check with all you experts first. I'd feel horrible to give them something that would make them sick. Thanks!!

2. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Anyone has any comments if this is ok?

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I give my little ones parakeet grit---I never looked to see if it had licorice in it or not; I don't think it does (I'm at work & it's at home so can't run check right now, sorry). It's just the cheap kind you buy in a box at PetSmart.

4. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I am interested in this topic too. Are there more opinions out there on this subject?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Iffin it were me and I had the choice I'd find the plain grit vs. the one you described. As chicks they don't need the charcoal and the extra calcium.
    When mine were little I used the plain parakeet grit. No additives.

6. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Thanks gritsar!! You always have great advice!! I think I will use reg. grit just to be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by