1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Need chicken photographs of skin issues - UPDATE: CAN'T TOUCH

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JulieZ, Jul 3, 2010.

1. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    I don't think it will ever end with me!

I picked up some "Dixie Rainbows" from a local chicken farm. They told me the hens feathers were missing because of the roosters. Okay, I can see this but since I've gotten them all they do is bite & nibble at themselves. Since they were raised as food, they are not pets. They have not come to me. Tonight I went to check on my sick chickens & took a much closer look at the Dixie Rainbows.

DISGUSTING !! I pulled back the wings & what is under them is black & it almost looks like intestines on one hanging out but it's not. It's like an open wound that's not open. I don't know what this mess is & it's too dark to take photographs. The best I can describe it ... Wound, raw, bleeds, dries up but looks like charcoal. It's bad !! Tomorrow ... I will be contacting the farm & demanding to return these chickens for a full refund.

Is there a thread that shows skin diseases on chickens? Maybe I can make heads or tails of this.

Will it ever end ??
    Julie

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    I've ruled out Marek's Disease by symptom list. I'm thinking lice / mites ...

3. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    I might be talking to myself but it helps me figure things out. [​IMG]

From what I'm reading ... maybe it is the roosters that were hurting these girls?? They have several roosters to so many girls & it is a chicken farm BUT do roosters REALLY cause that kind of damage on hens?? If so, my One Boy may become dinner.

Julie

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    pic's would help! Mites will be little black or red moving dots......lice will be clusters around vent area! Dried up blood will be dark scabbing and could be from the roosters. I would keep them and get them healthy!! They need you....................

One roo will probally have not done that but many would!!! even over crowding could cause cannabilism and they peck each other to death!!!!

PIC'S!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I agree...we need pics to be of much help. While I can "picture" what you are talking about, I don't know that what I am picturing is what you are seeing. [​IMG]

6. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have had roosters that hurt hens in this way,you don't know it till you pick them up and inspect around the wing area,

Mine started out i thought they were just molting , but when i was checking their weight i found the real problem, i penned up all of the the younger roos scene i am done hatching till spring, now my balding girls are on the mend and doing great.

If he told you the roos did this and not about the sores, he may not have known about them if he did not handle the chickens, it's hard for me to handle all mine as i have 100's .

7. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    While holding a flashlight secretarial style in the dark, holding back wings with my left hand & taking a photo with my right ... this is the best I could do tonight. All of these wounds are under the wings & the top part of the back is bare. I saw nothing "moving" & they are always nibbling under their wings but ya know what ... I would too if I had what appeared to be dried blood & open wounds. One wound has a fleshy like part pulled away & there IS a very SLIGHT odor of infection.

If this is from roosters, I read in a thread to apply plain, triple antibiotic neosporin with OUT the pain medication. Would I apply till all is healed?

I could NOT make it without this forum/group of people! Thank yaw so much!!
    Julie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
  9. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I have had hens torn up badly under the wings from the roos. I clean the would thoroughly with dilute iodine and then cover it with neosporin ointment (not cream as it come off too quickly). You can use neosporin with pain killer as the pain killer is a kind that is ok for chickens. The -caine meds, like lidocane, are toxic to chickens, and every other brand triple antibiotic that I have seen uses -caine's except neosporin. If it is the actual brand neosporin, you are ok to use it, if it is anything else, use the kind without pain relief. [​IMG]

10. slackwater

slackwater Songster

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Yep, I think roos can do that [​IMG] poor girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: