1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need chicks in Columbia or Charleston SC areas or Augusta GA

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by sc-chick617, Jan 12, 2009.

1. sc-chick617

sc-chick617 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2008
    Orangeburg, SC
    I am driving to Charlotte to get chicks and that is just too far. I just cant find anyone in my nearby areas that have any. I am still holding out hoping there is someone out there. I am in Orangeburg SC so my nearby areas are:
    Columbia
    Charleston
    Walterboro
    Augusta
    and Florence
    ....oh and all the areas in between!

I want egg layers like RIR. I will take almost any breeds. Let me know prices if you do reply.

Thanks,
    Elizabeth

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    There are several members of BYC down where you are. In fact that is where I am from. [​IMG]

Look through the Ga and SC threads and the BST forum. You will find lots of people with eggs and chicks.

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    You didn't find anything from Gary in Salley? He had some extremely nice birds on his place when we were there last summer. I have 2 very nice flocks from him and am sure I saw several other breeds besides Araucanas.
    You should be able to find someone around your area. Have you tried the SC Market Bulletin? I see ads all the time and list mine on occasion.

4. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    I think I replied to your posts a couple of months ago. What exactly do you want?

5. sc-chick617

Nov 29, 2008
    Orangeburg, SC
    Market Bulletin had only 3 close to me- 2 in lexington and one in Orangeburg. One never returned my calls which really made me mad, and the other two were older chickens, and I mean like 3 and 4 yr olds. I was disappointed with the market bulletin. Craigslist has been my best resource but there still isn't much to go off of. I know I really should just wait til spring but I know then it will be late in the year before I get any eggs.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Pssst - get a 'bator ... [​IMG]

7. sc-chick617

Nov 29, 2008
    Orangeburg, SC
    I want one but my husband isnt convinced its worth the money for the small coop we have.

~Elizabeth

8. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    We live just outside Columbia...45 minutes or less from Orangeburg. We might have some in April or May. Is your need that long-term or more immediate?

9. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Elizabeth, I just sent you a pm.

10. sc-chick617

Nov 29, 2008
    Orangeburg, SC
    Keep the PM's coming! I am so happy to be meeting people in the area. I have a few messages that sound very hopeful. Thanks to everyone who is replying/ posting.

~Elizabeth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by