Need climbing plant help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wolftracks, Jul 1, 2010.

1. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Hope I'm in the right topic for this.

I need some privacy and I think my neighbors do also.

I need some ideas for non-toxic climbers to cover a cyclone fence between properties.

I have a several favorites, but would like something different from my usuals, since everyone has different ideas and I get kind of stuck on just my favorites.

Got some types for me? And I'd like them to smell wonderful and look pretty. Lots of flowers. Oh and need to be super fast growing.

Thanks

2. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    Plant some grapes!! They taste so yummy just off the vine and have pretty green (big) leaves. They climb like crazy!

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    chocolate vine
    passion flowers
    cross vine (not sure about smelling)
    clematis vines
    honeysuckle kinda wild
    wisteria....think only crazed people actually plant this one it is very invasive here in florida
    jasmines
    blue sky vine (perennial but dies down each winter)

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:I'm crazed! Wisteria is one of my favorites since I was a little girl.

Have grapes, but they aren't growing very fast........Jasmine and Passion Flowers are on my list.

Need more!!! Keep em coming! I have a VERY long fence and thought I'd mix it up.LOL

5. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I think I am going to plant those tiny ornamental gourds and pumpkins on the chicken run fence. All those little pumpkins hanging there would be awesome, I need to check on the toxicity of pumpkin leaves to make sure though I guess.

6. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    sandpaper vine (orchid like flower but not overly prolific grower and not sure about smell)
    kiwi vines
    coral vine (also dies back in winter) pink or white don't recall a fragrance
    ack..all I can think of right now
    sharon

7. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    cucumbers!!!!

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

looking for perennials or annuals? for annuals you can use good old fashioned sweet peas -- pretty and smell so good! there's also cardinal vine (fernlike lacy foilage w small bright red tubular flowers -- hummingbirds love it! It will reseed readily, too. Morning glories, moonflowers (night blooming white morning glory, basically [​IMG] , trumpet vine (but beware, it puts out runners and spreads VERY easily and can become invasive), . You could also plant tall annuals such as cosmos. There are options out there... [​IMG]

9. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:I'm crazed! Wisteria is one of my favorites since I was a little girl.

Have grapes, but they aren't growing very fast........Jasmine and Passion Flowers are on my list.

Need more!!! Keep em coming! I have a VERY long fence and thought I'd mix it up.LOL

Virginia creeper, also called woodbine (native) BEAUTIFUL FALL COLOR)
    Ivy (grows pretty fast
    Zepherine Drouhin rose (grows in shade, is thornless)

10. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    My sweetpeas say on the packet, CAUTION: POISONOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! So I didn't plant them due to the chickens. Do you think they would be ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by