need color of polish/sex of 9 month old silkie

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenWendy, Jan 10, 2009.

1. ChickenWendy

ChickenWendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    please help me identify these chickens. here are a few of the black silkie. i cant figure out if it's a girl or a boy - no crowing and no egg laying as of yet and this bird is 9 months old. i'm at a loss. i though originally this was a girl now i'm leaning towards boy with the tail feathers but i have no clue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now i was wondering if you could tell me what color this male bantam polish (4 months old) is? i have no clue. we call him Antonio as his hopeful mate is following and she is Rosalita (i think a white crested kakhi/grey female bantam polish?) she is about 9 months old also and no eggs/no crowing. what's up with that? all my other hens are still laying good - but only 3.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    silkie- roo for definate

polish silver laced roo but looks mixed or pet quality the laceing is wrong for that breed.

polish female looks white crested blue to me i can't tell with lighting for sure.

3. Last two photos.

The speckled one is NOT a polish, it is a Spangled Hamburg hen

The hen polish is called a fawn color.

Nice birds

4. ChickenWendy

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    ok thanks. i thought the black was developing into a roo. we are saddened but oh well. how is it that we hatch out more roosters then hens in the silkies?! it can be quite frustrating. does anyone sale sexed silkies as chicks?

and i am not an expert by any stretch and i appreciate any and all feed back, but i have a hard time believing that "antonio" is anything but a mixed, pet quality polish rooster. his head/crest is all wrong to be a "Spangled Hamburg hen" - his coloring may not be but his crest gives him away as a polish doesnt it?

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Antonio isn't a Hamburg. As far as I know there are no crested Hamburgs. It appears that he has 5 toes. Does he? If so he's not a Polish either he's a Mottled Houdan.

6. ChickenWendy

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    yes he has 5 toes

7. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    Antonio is a Mottled Houdan, and if he is truly a bantam then you have something pretty rare.

the hen isa white crested khaki Polish.

8. ChickenWendy

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    well i hatched him out of an egg from scbirdfarm. he took pity on me and let me buy some eggs from them when i started to beg on here about needing more chickens. i am assuming he is a bantam but what do i know? i didnt even know he was a houdan. we will see. only time will tell right?

9. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    yes, i agree mottled houdan roo i didn't even think of that one. [​IMG] i always forget about houdans sorry. yes he does raise them too.

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The silkie is a male. The second to last pic is a mottled houdan. The last pic looks like a WC khaki, but she also looks cuckoo. Can you get a better pic of her?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by