1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEED comments from experienced chicken owners PLZ

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by outdoorfunblond, Nov 7, 2016.

1. outdoorfunblond

outdoorfunblond Just Hatched

May 7, 2015
    South Texas
    I have owned chickens for not quite 2 yrs now and never had this problem yet...
    One of my hens was apparently going to lay a "rubber egg" and it didn't quite happen.
    The rubber shell ONLY, (no yolk) is still hanging out most of the way and she didn't completely expell the egg.
    I've heard of this happeneing with a normal egg and that it has to be carefully pushed back in...
    Will she finish expelling this ?
    What do I do ? Chickens are already in coop for the night...
    Do I need to go get her out NOW and do something for her or is it OK to wait until morning ?
    Thanks in advance ! This is my poor lil Lucy girl ! :(

2. Abby32922

Abby32922 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2016
  3. outdoorfunblond

outdoorfunblond Just Hatched

May 7, 2015
    South Texas
    Thank you. She doesn't lay rubber eggs very often, but I guess she's not taking her share of calcium although I supply it everywhere... I hope she does pass it without problems...

4. Abby32922

Nov 7, 2016

Me 2, is she very old or young? Rubber eggs normally happen when they just start laying or get old.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would pull out the remaining membrane. It is from a shell-less egg breaking inside her vent. Other hens may pull at it when they see it hanging out, or it may be gone already. These rubber eggs are very common when hens first start to lay and later when they get older. Unfortunately, it can be a sign of reproductive problems such as internal laying, and can set up for infection leading to egg yolk peritonitis. There is not much you can do about this, other than to make sure she has layer feed and access to a bowl of crushed oyster shell or crushed egg shells for extra calcium.

6. Abby32922

Nov 7, 2016
    I'm totes with Eggcessive

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by