Need confirmation - Pullets or Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CloverdaleFarms, Jul 22, 2011.

1. CloverdaleFarms

CloverdaleFarms Out Of The Brooder

We hatched 3 chicks of different breeds on July 4th! They are 19 days old today. One is a SF Blue Cochin, the little one is a Bantam Black Cochin Frizzle, and the last one is a FBCM. I know it is still a little early, but I am experimenting with feather sexing and was hoping someone could help me confirm.

[​IMG]

I think is little one is a roo. He was the last one of the bunch to feather...almost a week old before they started to come in. Still has no tail feathers. And...just look at how tall and proud he stands.

[​IMG]

His comb is still a muddy grey black though....

[​IMG]

This is our little one, Frizz. I am really not sure...thinking a pullet, but I am not sure because of the comb. [​IMG] Hatched with a nice bunch of primary feathers. Tail feathers just starting. Stance is not as nice as the Blue Cochin. Just not sure...

[​IMG]

The last one is our little French Black Copper Maran. I think this is a pullet. She was practically hatched with feathers! Her tail has grown out nicely. Very docile too!

[​IMG]

Look at her pretty face!

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help!

2. CloverdaleFarms

Oh...and if anyone is interested in helping with these little polish that would be cool too! We ordered them through our local feed store from Ideal hatchery. The are 10 days old today. There is one that I am pretty sure is a roo... it's the itty bitty one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. CloverdaleFarms

Sorry...for some reason this posted twice!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    You're right that in the larger breeds females tend to feather in more quickly than the males. Not as noticeably different in the smaller breeds (like polish).

I have 2 2.5 wk-old Blue Cochin bantams, and they are more feathered than yours...however, they may be 3.5 weeks old, as I got them at the feed store on the day new chicks arrive and assumed they were from the previous week. They were not from that week. Both of mine have very long wing feathers and shoulder feathers are starting to come in.

There's a good post on the list with pics of girls and boys in cochins and another breed showing the feather differences. You might want to check that out. I don't recall the title.

My B/BlCMs were obvviously different by 3-4 weeks old. The little boys got their combs pretty early on.

Have fun with them.

5. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I can't speak for the others but watch that BCM, I'm gonna say roo [​IMG] I've raised A LOT of them, I do hope I am wrong. It's showing pretty good comb development for 19 days. I'll be able to tell you almost 100% for sure in another 7-10 days!

6. CloverdaleFarms

Thanks for the info. They will be 3 weeks old on Monday. I will udate the pics next weekend and see what you think then. I really am not sure about the little frizzle. Fingers are crossed that it is a girl. I have pretty much resigned myself to the Blue being a roo. It's really too bad because that is my sweetest one! [​IMG] Oh well!

I have another 5 Marans and 3 Cochins in the incubator. Hopefully, I will get more girls from that hatch! So far the Cochins are my favorite breed of all!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  7. CloverdaleFarms

Ok here are the new pics. They are now 4 weeks old. Not happy with the combs on the cochins! The FBCM comb has not really developed much this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by