Need Confirmation: Roos or really masculine pullets?

kgilles

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 9, 2012
Our TSC Chicks are now about 9 weeks old and it looks like four or the seven are Roos. This is our first time with raising from babies, so I just wanted to put a few photos out there to confirm my conclusion...though I'd be thrilled if I turn out to be wrong!

Production Red threw us...it feathered out really really quick and didn't start to get any pink in the comb until recently. But now it just looks like a roo to me.

Then there are our three lovely Silver Laced Wyandottes. I watched the three of them chest butt each other for awhile this afternoon...they all have short fluffy tails still...super red combs...all the telling signs, unfortunately.

Sorry picture angles aren't the greatest...these guys aren't super docile at this point. Let me know if you have any behavior questions about any of them to help make a determination -- but I think it's gonna be pretty straight forward for those of you with more experience than us. Thank you!!

farmerChef

Songster
9 Years
Nov 18, 2010
Southern Georgia
My Coop
My Coop
all 3 wyandottes and the red chick are roosters.
on the SLWs, the males feather in a little differently.

I couldnt find an inbetween picture, but here are adult ones. The hens have even lacing all over.
The pointed saddle(back) and hackle(neck) feathers on the males come in at 3-4 months.
SLWyandCkl1.JPEG
SLWyPul1.JPEG

Also, if the red is a cockeral, his saddle and hackle feathers will come in darker and metallic as well as being pointed.

kgilles

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 9, 2012
They just decided to pose for me when I went to lock them up for the night...

kgilles

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 9, 2012
Man, sometimes I hate being right all the time ;-) Thanks to you both for replying!

Top Bottom