Need cooking suggestions for some ground Lamb...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by boilerjoe_96, Jul 13, 2008.

1. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    (I hope this is correct area for this)

Thinking of getting into sheep for meat...

So I bought some ground lamb and will try it onthe family tonight. Any suggestions on how to prepare? Most of what I find on the net has onions, garlic, cumin..some with paparika, cinnamon..or even ginger...

I thought I better make sure we like lamb before getting the animals for meat...

2. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    I would think you could use it almost anywhere you would use ground beef,I use ground turkey in everything,the only reason I buy any ground beef is for burgers on the grill..the only thing with lamb is when it cools it has more grease in it,so you see it, and I find it has to be eaten hot..

3. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    I love lamb patties: Pat the lamb into patties, sprinkle with worcestershire sauce or adobo powder, and broil or grill. I like to serve it with parslied potatoes and whateve fresh vegetable I have on hand. Very simple and very yummy!

4. FlockEweFarm

FlockEweFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Flagstaff,AZ
    You could make make Kefta! Its a Lebanese shish kebab dish that is soo good, that even my smallest kid will fight my old man for the last bite.
    You take
    skewers
    1 lb of Lamb
    1lb of extra lean ground beef
    5-6 cloves of garlic
    1/2 a bunch of cilantro
    1 tblspn of cumin
    1 tsp of red pepper
    1 tblspn of sea salt
    1 lemon

using a food processor, process the garlic, cilantro, and spices with the juice squeezed from 1/2 of the lemon, set it aside. Take the lamb and beef, mix them together and then place in the food processor, mix in and the slowly add in the garlic mixture and continue to process until well blended.
    Form the kebabs along the skewers and cook on your grill, being mindful that lamb is very fatty and will cause flare-ups.
    Serve on a bed of basmati rice with Na'an (bread)
    Squeeze the second half of the lemon over the top of the cooked kebabs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by