Need coop add on suggestions!!

alinas2010

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Jul 8, 2022
Wyoming
I just got an 8x8 shed for my 14 week old ladies! I am so excited to build it into a custom coop and run area. Does anyone have some suggestions of must haves for their coop and run?

Attachments

• 6E3800C6-B80C-48DD-8093-58482B5C4341.jpeg
    6E3800C6-B80C-48DD-8093-58482B5C4341.jpeg
    875.3 KB · Views: 14
Cut the sheathing off over the top plate and secure the spaces between the rafters with 1/2" hardware cloth. Then attach a trim board to the bottom to further secure the HC and cover up the cut line.
I would install 24" wide poop boards set 30-34" above the floor with the roost centered over it about 12-14" high.
I would also install some top hinged windows backed with 1/2" hardware cloth for more ventilation.
Basically all the things I did with my shed to coop conversion. I love it.

Cut the sheathing off over the top plate and secure the spaces between the rafters with 1/2" hardware cloth. Then attach a trim board to the bottom to further secure the HC and cover up the cut line.
I would install 24" wide poop boards set 30-34" above the floor with the roost centered over it about 12-14" high.
I would also install some top hinged windows backed with 1/2" hardware cloth for more ventilation.
Basically all the things I did with my shed to coop conversion. I love it.
More ventilation is definitely on my list. Thank you for the details! Do you have any photos of yours? It was so much cheaper to buy a shed vs a sturdy built coop. I’m so excited for them to have a wonderful new house.

Very nice! Expanding coops is my happy place! For sure do Dobie's L shape roosts with poop trays, you'll thank her later! Wish I had followed this years ago would have saved tons of work and grossness. Window's are wonderful but if you intend to use them for Ventilation make sure they are above head level of chicken on roost. ENJOY!!!

L shape roosts with poop trays
They are actually U-shaped boards now.
1659725676084.png

but if you intend to use them for Ventilation make sure they are above head level of chicken
Having roost level ventilation is important for summer time cross breeze to blow across the birds to cool them.
This coop has copious amounts of overhead ventilation in the gable peaks, ridge vent and between the rafters that are open year round along with the pop doors and two windows away from the roosting area that are kept cracked open during cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom