Need coop advice please! (pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by YolandaT, Jun 1, 2010.

1. YolandaT

YolandaT Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Hello! I need advice on coop design. It just doesnt look right.
    My coop is an old shed that we cut windows into, and currently working on finishing the run.

This is looking into my coop from the door. The top roost is about 4ft high and 10" from the back wall and takes advantage of one of those pieces of wood that was there b/c a screw is stripped, so there it stays. We made a shelf for the next box and put a roost in front of it, that is about 18" high. The bottom roost is right up against the nest box.

Question: Are the chickens going to be able to fly up to that top roost?? What do you suggest? Any suggestions, even a re-design, are welcome! I don't know if we should add another roost in the middle there, is it going to be gross cleaning off the nest box because there is roost right over it? Speaking of the next box, the lower roost is right up against it, do they roost and lay eggs in the box? If so I don't know if theyll be able to do that with this setup.

OH - the roosts are level! Its honestly the shed that is crooked! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the outside (run in progress) to give an idea of the space.

[​IMG]

I'd really appreciate any tips on how to maximize this space!!

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

hmmm...yeah first off, what kind of chickens are going to be in there? some chickens could fly up to that roost, but a lot of breeds aren't going to be able to make it...

I would suggest lowering it or move your roosts and make them corner roosts and add more? or move the nest box to a different wall and add 1-2 more roosting poles in ascending height so chickens can hop up and decide what height they want to roost...

Also how many chickens are you planning to keep? you need 1 nest box minimum to 2-3 hens max. in my opinion or else you'll have some angry hens fighting over boxes especially if someone goes broody.

but it looks good!

3. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Personally I think the top poll is too high but if you can't move it then make a roosting ladder with that being the top rung. Add "Poop Shelves" below each roost. You can put the Perch ladder on the other side of the nest box as to give the bird who is using the box a bit more privacy.
    As for the run it is more planned than what I have right now. which is fencing around some bushes and plants.

4. YolandaT

YolandaT Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Oh yeah! [​IMG] I have three - a RIR, silver laced wyandotte, and Americauna. They are 6 wks old and still in our house - I want them in the coop but I just can't picture them in there yet! I want to make sure the coop, at least, is all ready to go before we move them in- hopefully by this weekend.

If I do put a ladder up to the top pole, how steep is too steep? I have tried putting some boards up against it but it seems a steep incline. Would they prefer walking up a steep ladder, or would they prefer different level steps they can jump to?

5. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    The steepness. I'm thinking about like stairs high the polls/ wrungs a foot apart at the most.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by