Need Coop Advice!

nychick83

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2017
Hi everyone! I'm Maria and a newbie on the forum, but not a newbie to building coops. It's sort of a full time "hobby" for my husband and I, and to date we have built over 15 coops of different shapes and sizes for ourselves as well as family and friends.

This is definitely a unique request, but I need your opinions. Basically, I am endeavoring to create a website to sell our build plans. I am in the process of getting them in order and making them easy to follow for the uninitiated. I am working with an architect to actually turn our hand-drawn designs into real build prints with instructions, a material/parts list, etc. Its been alot of work but I'm almost there and getting close to being ready to start the website.

Here is where I need your opinion and some guidance - and please BE HONEST. If you were to look to purchase plans, would you prefer to buy multiple plans as one book, OR purchase the plans individually? I am not sure if I should create one big manual that includes ALL of our plans (which would cost more obviously) OR sell the plans individually.

Additionally, based on your answer, what price would you think is fair? The complete manual would include 15 coop plans and the individual plans would obviously be only for one coop (each plan would include material lists and step-by-step build instructions).

I am also planning on sharing the plans (for free) to some of those who respond - I just ask you answer honestly :).

I am so excited to hear back from you guys. Thanks SO SO much in advance for your help!

- Maria

I'd definitely want both options, a book sort of thing, and individual plans. Or even just plan "bundles", plus individual plans, you know? Like selling a set of related plans (tiny coops, or big coops, or A-frame coops, or... etc etc), plus selling each plan individually. You know?

(Also, if you're looking for help building the website itself, I'd totally love to throw my hat into the ring. It's my day job, and I'm trying to build out my portfolio with smaller sites so I can do more freelance work.)

Got it, thanks for the feedback! Any idea on price ranges for the individual plans?

I will keep you in mind when I get the site off the ground, thanks so much!

If I were to purchase plans I would prefer to see the options of finished products and then be able to decide what plans that would fit my needs. As far as price goes maybe $10-$15? But they are worth what people are willing to pay. Good luck!

I am in the the boat of essentially looking for plans. We have to build our coop in the next few weeks and I have been looking tirelessly for plans. I know exactly in my head what I want it to look like, I just want plans for direction. Hubby and I are very handy so building it is not the problem. Just getting my thoughts to paper and plan it out is my challenge.

I think the route of having the ability to search and buy a specific plan is better than an entire book. If you go the with a website you will can catalog all of your design and then customers can choose what best suits their situation and buy the plan for their particular choice.

Can I ask where about in NY you are? I am in Rochester.

Thank you for your input! I'm in Westchester. What do you feel is a fair price range for an individual plan?

As a newbie who is thinking of getting hubby to build a coop, I would be interested in a website with pictures of finished coops, along with total cost to build each one. I would only be interested in the plans for one coop, and possibly a plas for a chicken tractor too.

I think $10 -$15 would be a very reasonable price.

Then again, a book on the subject with multiple coops might appeal to some.

Thanks for the response. We have one tractor plan, I'll make sure to include or even maybe I could add that on as a freebie with any plan purchase...

Back
Top Bottom