Need coop ventilation advice

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cheeperchick, Oct 23, 2013.

1. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    Here's a picture of my coop & run that we completed over the summer. It was a complete redesign and expansion. It has 3 3/4 walls. The 3/4 wall goes out to the run. Question...what can I do about ventilation in the coop? Everytime I go in to clean it out, dust starts flying everywhere and now I have this congested cough that won't go away. I'm starting to use a mask now when I clean it but I can only imagine how it affects the chooks.. what can I do to provide ventilation and also provide a draft free coop during the colder months??

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I never do any work in the coop without a mask. I buy big boxes of masks, cheaper by the dozen.

I don't worry about drafts because anecdotally I've seen birds live outside all winter (covered) and are quite healthy.
    What they can't take is bad air. I would cut some big openings on any side that you have an overhang to keep rain out.
    Cover them all with hardware cloth or expanded metal.

3. cheeperchick

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    Only side with an overhang goes out to the run... I was thinking of cutting and 2 openings...one on ea. wall and putting chicken wire over it then put some cheap metal overhang over the cutout?

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If your run is predator proof you can take the whole run side wall out.

If you make any other openings, use something stronger than chicken wire. It keeps chickens in - not predators out.

5. cheeperchick

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    That sounds like a good idea..lol my uncle told me to leave that side open to the run but I insisted on having that partial wall. Lesson learned for me, doh!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A partial wall isn't a bad idea to keep bedding in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by