Need Details for shipping birds....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RustyBulleit, Nov 25, 2013.

1. RustyBulleit

RustyBulleit Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    Connecticut
    I want to ship 2 adult chickens, a barred rock hen and a Black Maran hen, across the U.S. I know about state laws, vet certs, proper shipping containers, etc. My questions are: Is it safe to ship both birds in the same box without a divider? And do I want their container to allow for more movement or do I want them to be snug? They are traveling from coastal California to coastal Connecticut where it will be cold. I figure they can keep one another warm, and, perhaps, calm during the journey. This is my first time shipping animals so I am a bit anxious. I'm hoping someone with more experience can provide some advice.

Thank you! Keep on Keeping on
    ~Rusty

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Quote:
    No.

Snug.

They should stay warm in a cardboard shipper and they should not be exposed to low bar or unpressurized air at 30,000 feet but be in a part of the baggage hole that is pressurized.

They will very likely peck fight each other every step of the way unless separated, and that will hardly keep them calm. (Its that pecking order thing don't you know.)

Try to ship on Monday or Tuesday to be sure you get them there before the weekend and they face a layover. Also Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays are the bussiesties days for air travel and I suspect that the baggage handlers will be in a FOWL mood, or maybe I should say not be in the mood to handle your fowl like the living things that they are.

Check out this dude. He just won the Baggage Handler of the Year Award for his work ethic.

[​IMG]

Some of the sponsors at the bottom of this page sell shippers to transport chickens. In my experience they work well.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  3. RustyBulleit

RustyBulleit Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    Connecticut
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by