need diagnosis or theories

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigclucker, Aug 28, 2010.

1. bigclucker

bigclucker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    picked up some young RIR from a neighbor and kept them quarantined for several days. all looked healthy and were very healthy and active during this time period. yesterday, i turned them out into the fenced in pasture with the others. all seemed fine until this morning, one of the birds was just sitting on the ground not moving. i bumped her to get her moving, but she just sat there. i finally moved her to another quarantine area after about an hour.

she's around 20 weeks old ... any theories, or is this just one of those things?

2. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    Are they laying eggs yet? I have a problem with one of my RIR hens right now. She did that similar thing and layed lots of soft eggs. She's sick now but hopefully on the mend. Good luck with your girl. Make sure she's eating and drinking. Mine love grapes and scrambled eggs so you can entice her with those to get her going. Also check if there is an egg beneath her.....she may be guarding it.

3. bigclucker

Dec 17, 2009
    just went outside ... the chicken died

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I'm sorry [​IMG] It's horrible when things like that happen, but there's not much you can do about them.

5. bigclucker

Dec 17, 2009
    Thanks, I know it works that way sometimes. Just strange, they were all bright eyed, great shiny feathers, active ... then this one was gone. Hopefully it was just one of those things ... and not a disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by