1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need dosage help! Medicating this afternoon!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvmybirdz, Jan 19, 2013.

1. luvmybirdz

luvmybirdz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2011
    I'm using safeguard for goats to worm my chickens. The vet gave me this example:

dosage for Safeguard is 20 mg/kg. The math is straightforward to figure out how much you need to treat your birds. To convert pounds to kilograms, divide by 2.2. So if you have a 4 lb bird, divide 4 by 2.2 to get 1.8. To figure out how many milligrams you need, multiply by 20. 1.8 X 20 = 36. So, you would need 36 milligrams to treat one bird. You’ll have to look at your Safeguard to see the dosage of the solution to determine how much you’ll give each bird.

This is still mind numbing for me! I get that it'd be 36 mg for the birds weighing aprox 4 lb, but I need to convert this to ml.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Safeguard for Goats/Cattle (Fenbendazole) is 100mg/ml and I dose mine at 50mg/kg ( .5ml/kg), which is the high end of the recommended amount for poultry. It's a very safe wormer, so if you get the math a little wrong, you'll be fine.

3. luvmybirdz

luvmybirdz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2011
    Ok, thanks! I'm trying to get these birds fixed up in the next couple days. Had a necropsy done and came up with a few issues, capillaria and gapeworms for one. Also need to treat for coccida :-( Gotta figure out that dose next.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2. Very wide margin of safety. When using dewormers your always better off to dose on the higher side anyway if there's any doubt since routinely under dosing only leads to increased resistence in parasites.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Not sure on the dose for the liquid Corid, it's here somewhere, but if your using the 20% powder it's 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water each day for 5 to 7 days.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If my brain is working, 1mg of safeguard is .01ml/cc, so 36mg would be .36ml/cc.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I use the liquid Corid at 9.5cc/gallon, but I'm also experimenting on one chick and giving it as an oral drench. We'll see how that turns out.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

That's what I do... If a little is good a lot is better, right? :lol: All joking aside, you're right about under dosing.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Luvmybirdz, does your scale weigh in kg? I do everything bird related in metric, it's so much easier for me.

10. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    I treat my birds with liquid Corid:

Dosage:
    9.5mL per U.S. gallon

Treatment:
    Give Corid for 5 days, and only the Corid solution. Dump out waterer an fill with fresh water. I dump the eggs during treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by