Need dove info.. food, housing

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Dill, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    Right down the road from me there's a free white male ringneck dove. I'd really like to adopt him, I looove doves:D If I get him, I'd like to get him a mate because the person says he's become depressed since losing his mate.

So how big of a cage do they need? What kind of food? I've never seen a dove seed mix at the store before..

Do they like to interact with people?

2. Tn Gamebirds

Tn Gamebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

A breeding pair of ringneck dove can be kept in a two feet by two feet cage. But bigger is better. Just keep them dry and warm.

You can feed them a wild bird seed mix , scratch grain , or poultry crumbles. But they love the seed mixes.

They can become quiet tame if you spend some time with them

Good luck with your dove if you decide to get him

3. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    Thanks

The lady emailed me back and said to call her today so hopefully we're getting him today! Cant wait

4. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Kaytee has a commercial mix available. Here's the specs -

""Description: Doves have special nutritional needs. Kaytee Supreme Dove Daily Blend offers the high quality, nutritious ingredients in a mix that doves and pigeons love. Best of all, the clean, wholesome ingredients and specially designed supplement provide the proteins, oils, and other nutrients that doves require to grow strong and stay healthy.

Ingredients White Millet, Milo, Wheat, Canadian Field Peas, Red Millet, Canary Grass Seed, Popcorn, Safflower, Oat Groats, Ground Yellow Corn, Ground Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Middlings, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Beet Pulp, Soy Oil, Salt, Fish Meal, DL-Methionine, Brewers Dried Yeast, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Carbonate, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K activity), Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis Crude Protein (min) 11.0% Crude Fat (min) 3.0% Crude Fiber (max) 6.0% Moisture (max) 12.0%""

My doves usually ignore pellets and crumbles (offered to the galliformes housed with them), tend to stick mostly with the seed mixes as mentioned. Give millet spray as treat, they love it.

Dan

5. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Do not feed them Regular Pigeon Feed or wild bird seed with Sunflower seeds in them. They can choke on the larger seeds in the Pigeon Feed and the Sunflower Seeds. Sunflower kernals are okay though.

6. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    I heard finch seed is supposed to be ok to feed them, that true?

7. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:Finch seed is fine and pretty much contains the same ingredients (minus the field peas and milo, add niger and other millets) as the Kaytee mix I posted.

Dan

8. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If you use finch feed, I'd add hulled safflower seeds as well, and put avian vitamin drops in their water once a week.

I've had ringnecks for almost 10 years, and they are easy keepers. My current three each have their own cages, being males and thus likely to squabble if allowed to get together. The cages are a bit smaller than 2'X2' but each bird gets to come out and fly around the house for at least 2 hours each, every day. If you don't have an aviary to let them fly in, it's important to let your doves get exercise in a closed room or other safe place where there are no cats or other predators, and where the windows and doors are screened so they can't accidentally get outside.

Doves don't need mates to live healthy lives, and are really pretty solitary, not flock birds. If you have only one, it will just bond with you instead. Two of my three males will act like juveniles with me, pulling the "feed me! Love me!" begging act (and they are all between 7 and 9 years old). [​IMG]

9. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I feed mine a wild bird seed mix of millet,milo,wheat, whole sunflower, and whole safflower. I also provide red grit.

I have 46 in a general population for the winter but put them together in pairs in 2x2 breeding pens spring to fall.

I agree with Gardnergal about they don't have to have mates.
    But i will add a lone male can be annoying constantly cooing for a mate.

They breed easy and keep easy and i recommend them as pets.[​IMG]

10. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    Good, I'm glad they dont need mates because my parents are convinced they do and they dont want for me to have to get another dove. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by