Need Duck Recommendations for pond

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rhodiegal, Sep 10, 2007.

1. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    We are going to be putting a pond in our yard (about 3/4 acre pond). Can anyone recommend a good duck to get? We have not had ducks and have no clue. We would like a friendly breed that the kids would enjoy - maybe even something kind of different or rare. Do we need to make a duck house? What do they eat?

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Having a pond is about all you need to keep ducks. You will find all the breeds take to water, well, like ducks. [​IMG]

Ducks will forage a lot on their own; however they will require some form of feeding to be sure they get proper nutrition (unlike geese whoe can live on grass alone). I use a general purpose poultry feed supplemented with brewer's yeast. They are omnivorous, so they will eat slugs and snails along with plants. Oh, and they go ape over lettuce cuttings from our garden. I think we grew more lettuce for our ducks and geese than ourselves this year.

As far as breeds go, decide if you want a general purpose duck or one better for eating or one better for laying. That will help us narrow down your choices.

And finally, I do love my ducks (I have a dozen Silver Appleyards); but Geese are more fun. You should get a few of each. Also, get waterfowl from a reputable hatchery or breeder. Some of the stuff coming out of Murray McMurray isn't exactly the best.

3. rhodiegal

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    I am not picky about them being good egg layers or anything - more so just something different. Can anyone recommend a good duck hatchery? This may be silly, but is it possible to get Loons? I love the way they sound - but live in the south and don't know if they would fair well - or if you can even get them.

Geese - I like geese, but we have a bunch at a lake nearby and they make ALOT of waste - but maybe if we only had 2 it would be better.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You can get the best waterfowl in the Country from:

http://www.holderreadfarm.com/

or

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/

I have never ordered from Sandhill because Holderread is so close; but everyone says they keep top notch breeding stock.

Also, be aware that waterfowl come into lay in the Winter. So, you can usually only get ducklings or goslings in February - May. If you want something immediately, so places sell adult or juvenille animals... but the shipping tends to be horrendous unless you can make arrangements to pick them up.

This might be a good starting point, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Storeys-Guide-Raising-Ducks-Breeds/dp/158017258X

5. rhodiegal

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    Thank you so much for the hatcheries - I am going to check them out and see what there is out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by