Need(ed) to find new home for several guineas (South Jersey) Update!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Portulaca, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Portulaca

Portulaca New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    My family need to find a new home for 2 adult guineas and possibly some chicks. (Or homes for ANY of them.) Does anyone have any advice on where to look? We're in Atlantic County in South Jersey.

Update: Thanks to everyone who offered advice. We've found a great home for them--a family with a local 4-H club who already have some guineas.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    List them on Craigslist in Farm & Garden: I sold 16 keets in 24 hours that way.

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:X2 - I sold several groups on CL and they went faster than any chicks I have ever sold. Lots of peeps want guineas,almost makes me want to hatch them again. [​IMG]

4. Portulaca

Portulaca New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    Thank you! That helps a lot. I don't know if you have any advice on how I should do this--sell them together or separately, if there's a certain age the chicks should be before I sell them? And is there anything I should be wary of in a potential buyer? Not that I want to run background checks on people or anything, and I'm actually a bit desperate to find a place for my birds, but I'd prefer to give them the best shot at finding a good home.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  5. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Specify in your CL ad that they are not for food consumption (if you care about that) and offer them at 3 prices, just the adult breeding pair for one price (breeding pairs sell for around $40-$50 here in CA), offer just the keets for another price and the offer whole family for a higher price. Also specify that they need to be kept in a predator safe coop/covered run set up until the adults know where home is and the keets are grown enough to fend for themselves. I'd look for a buyer that's interested in keeping the Guineas safe from predators and out of the road, rather than just turning them loose to free range right away. You may have to do a little screening as you get responses to your ad, but if it's important to you that they go to a good home, it's worth the time and effort.

Also you could post flyers at your local feed stores and tractor supply co (if you have one).

6. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I usually get a good response off craigslist; but with the heat & drought here I didn't have a single hit this time. Listed the keets for $3 each. Took them to the poultry auction & got $6.75 a bird. After my fees was $140 for my keets. I think that is the best price I will ever see for them!

Try your states thread in the where am I? section. Maybe a local byc person will take them.

7. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    your in jersey. im in southest PA not too far. i would be happy to take them from you and give them a wonderful place to live here on our small family farm. PM me for any questions or interest.. i have 5 of my own. they are only a month and a half old. i have many chickens as well as quail.

8. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hi [​IMG] If it doesn't work out with Sny (although it sounds like it will) I may be able to take them as well. I'm in central Jersey.

9. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    i suppose they have a new good home?

10. Portulaca

Portulaca New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    Thanks to everybody for the advice. Sorry I've been away for a few days--thought I'd finished getting replies. We do have a few possible homes we're looking into. I'll let you know how it works out.

Update: they've got a new home with a local 4-H family.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by