Need Electric fence & BEAR help. now lost broody and chicks.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CrazyCatNChickenLady, Jun 18, 2011.

1. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    My BF called me at work at about 6am telling me there was a break-in in the duck coop. He woke up to distressed ducks and looked out the back window to see a bear trying to catch the ducks. The bear wasn't people shy at all and he had to make a bunch of noise to get it to run off.

The coop is a 4x8 tractor that used to be a small run. So its covered in a layer of 2"x4" welded wire, then has OSB covering that. There is a 4x4 square in the front that had chicken wire and welded wire. What I thought was a pretty secure coop! Well Mrs. Bear ripped both layers of wire AND ripped the front 4x4 panel of OSB off..

So as dBF was trying to quickly patch the coop, with one duck left, another duck showed up. A little while later he said a 3rd duck came home followed By Mrs. Bear. He was outside and said she just stopped and kind of kicked back and started watching him. He had to hit a shovel on some rocks to get her to run away. Of course we only have a 12 guage and a .22... Nothing that would even come close to harming a bear.

Fish and Game doesn't open til monday. I lost 1 duck and a blind rooster that lived with them. So I went out and bought a roll of hot wire and a charger and everything. I have previously read something like place it at 12" and 24", or 12" and 36" I cant remember. But the more strands the better so what about 12", 24" and 36" or should they be placed at other hights?

Last year when we were having bear problems (they were only going after the chicken feed then..) Fish and Game said turn on talk radio loud, Lights on, worn human clothes that are placed to look like a person, Lock all food up... The guy also said we have what they call a nuisance bear and they do not trap and relocate them.

Anyone have any bear advice for me?? It is greatly appriciated! My dad told me he would lend me a bigger gun I would just have to go pick it up from him (a 4 hr drive each way)... I just need to do something today so I still have chickens and ducks in a few days here!!!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Of course we only have a 12 guage and a .22... Nothing that would even come close to harming a bear.

A 12 GA with SLUGS will easily kill a bear, but I'd only do that as a LAST resort since it's frowned upon to shoot bears out of season even when it's "legal"

An electric fence will be cheaper in the long run and will give protection in the future, unlike killing this bear​

3. CrazyCatNChickenLady

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    I consider her breaking my property and eating my birds frowned upon. If she returns I will do whatever is needed to protect myself and my flock. Just like a mama bear would do anything to feed and protect her babies my ducks and chickens ARE my babies! Maybe if she wasn't so okay with people, but she followed a duck home and sat there about 30' away and watched my bf fix up the coop and was watching the loose ducks at about 7:30am...

I have a Stoeger 2000 (basically a Turkey gun!) I dont think I can use slugs in it with the barrel it has. This was one of the first things that came to mind, but my dad said I couldn't do it..

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I have a Stoeger 2000 (basically a Turkey gun!) I dont think I can use slugs in it with the barrel it has. This was one of the first things that came to mind, but my dad said I couldn't do it..

Your Dad is incorrect.

Your gun is a copy of a Benelli, and should fire any factory loaded standard 12 Ga shells

Use the Cylinder or Improved Cylinder choke, and it will handle slugs with no problem.

An electric fence is still the BEST option unless you're going to watch the coop all night every night

Otherwise you need to apply to the State for a permit BEFORE you shoot the bear:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/bear/depredation.html
    In the third category, a bear causes real property damage to a dwelling(s), structure(s), vehicle(s), apiaries, etc., or is a repeat offender (the bear has been previously captured or hazed by DFG employees). If the damage is minor and there are no other previous reports of damage ? the first action is implementation of reasonable corrective measures to remove attractants as outlined for the second category.

Corrective measures must be made prior to, or in addition to, issuing a depredation permit. When a bear has caused extensive or chronic damage to private property (such as livestock killed or injured, or entered into a home or cabin), repeated damage where corrective or bear-proofing efforts have failed, etc., DFG issues a depredation permit.​

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Get the hot wire up as fast as possible, the bear WILL be back. But instead of using the little round wire, use barb wire. The bear's fur will insult it against the electric round wire, where the barb wiire will go though the fur. Some will tell you to bait the hot wire, I don't think that is a good idea for you are just inviting the bear back. If this bear will come back and watch your BF, IT IS A DANGER to humans not only your chickens. A shot gun with rifle slugs WILL kill a bear. But have some 000 buckshot as back up, for if you don't kill it clean, you have one mad bear dangerous bear on your hands. Look at afence.com they will tell you just how to put the fence up. There are other sites that are good too. The barb wire trick is one that is used for sheep also because of their wool.

6. CrazyCatNChickenLady

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    I fully understand this. I have already talked to fish and game who said if he keeps coming back I can get a permit no problem.. I had the hotwire up that day and haven't seen him since... The reason I was asking for advise on how to put it up...... I was prepairing for repeated attacks from previous expiriences I have had.

My shotgun has the full choke in right now. All the other chokes are the center consil of his truck along with the choke key. I'd rather not take my chances shooting a slug out of a full choke.. [​IMG] (and even if the choke key is $20 I cant run out and buy one because I just spent well over my budget on electric fence!)

Quote:Your Dad is incorrect.

Your gun is a copy of a Benelli, and should fire any factory loaded standard 12 Ga shells

Use the Cylinder or Improved Cylinder choke, and it will handle slugs with no problem.
    An electric fence is still the BEST option unless you're going to watch the coop all night every night

Otherwise you need to apply to the State for a permit BEFORE you shoot the bear:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/bear/depredation.html
    In the third category, a bear causes real property damage to a dwelling(s), structure(s), vehicle(s), apiaries, etc., or is a repeat offender (the bear has been previously captured or hazed by DFG employees). If the damage is minor and there are no other previous reports of damage ? the first action is implementation of reasonable corrective measures to remove attractants as outlined for the second category.

Corrective measures must be made prior to, or in addition to, issuing a depredation permit. When a bear has caused extensive or chronic damage to private property (such as livestock killed or injured, or entered into a home or cabin), repeated damage where corrective or bear-proofing efforts have failed, etc., DFG issues a depredation permit.

ETA: Remove attractants? I'm not really understanding this part though... We have no garbage out or anything considered food like. My ducks were in a closed coop. I didnt think I would have to hotwire in order to have ducks...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  7. CrazyCatNChickenLady

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Thank You!! This is great advise. I never would have thought of using barbed wire. I had the hotwire up within hours after the attack but just the thin strand kind. I understand that if I didn't I probably wouldn't have anymore birds in a few days time. I was hoping it would zap him on the nose... [​IMG] and Yes my BF was NOT being smart. I dont think he fully realizes what bears are capable of doing. And you would have thought HE grew up in the city!

Quote:

8. MrCluckers

MrCluckers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a Remington 870 12 gauge myself. I have a boat load of slugs and 00 buck. However, my gun is currently loaded with a law enforcement round made by Centurion. The round consists of a mini slug (about half the size of a normal slug) and is surrounded by 00 buck. Whether its humans breaking into my house, or a predator trying to break into my coop, bear included, they are dead. I really do recommend the round for either home, or coop protection.

9. fischerzacdc

fischerzacdc New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    I too have my shotgun loaded with the law enforcement rounds, and I can vouch for the fact that anything that breathes will cease to breathe after taking a hit from one of those [​IMG]

10. CrazyCatNChickenLady

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Sounds awesome! What choke do I need in the gun? I have everything from Bears, Cayotes, Feral dogs, Fox, Possum, Feral tom cats to TWEAKERS!! [​IMG] Even though where I live you dont go onto anyone elses property without expecting to be shot. A lot of pot growers and your occasional group trying to cook up a batch... [​IMG] I keep to myself and dont venture out much but protect my property well enough!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by