need emergency duck catching advice!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flspnr, Sep 27, 2011.

1. flspnr

flspnr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    I'm at work right now at a grocery store and there's a duck hanging by a dumpster. I'd love to catch her so she doesn't get hurt, but I have no idea how. It'll be dark when I go get her, if that matters. I'll also check for a nest anything to give it away? Thanks!

Kim

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Maybe she is nesting by the dumpster and eating leftover greens form the grocery store.[​IMG]

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    A net on a pole like the ones they use for fishing would be handy.

4. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    I don't have a net unfortunately, just me, my hands, and a cardboard box.

5. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Oh wow, good luck. I've seen a few ducks I would like to try to catch but have no idea how.

6. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Box trap? Easy to set up if you can get a long string and a stick. Bait with lettuce under the box maybe? If you do try a box trap make sure the box is plenty big. And also if you can manage it try putting the box trap on top of some flattened cardboard. That way it is easier to keep the animal in when you tip the box with the flattened cardboard up after you have the duck.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4925345_making-cardboard-bird-traps.html
    I have used box traps to catch feral kittens before but not ducks but it seems like it should work.

7. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Quote:Box trap? Easy to set up if you can get a long string and a stick. Bait with lettuce under the box maybe? If you do try a box trap make sure the box is plenty big. And also if you can manage it try putting the box trap on top of some flattened cardboard. That way it is easier to keep the animal in when you tip the box with the flattened cardboard up after you have the duck.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4925345_making-cardboard-bird-traps.html
    I have used box traps to catch feral kittens before but not ducks but it seems like it should work.

x2

8. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    Watch out after you catch them. lol If you have to handle the duck be careful. I had to catch one of my drakes a couple days ago. He about busted my lip open when he got his wing free and smacked me in the mouth. lol

9. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Did ya catch it? [​IMG]

10. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    [​IMG] I didn't catch her (him?) tonight. She ended he taking flight and flying to the other end of the parking lot! It was quite a funny sight if anyone had watched me and my manager try to catch her, lol!! [​IMG] I will try again if she's still there tomorrow, I don't work in the best part of town, and there's a busy road by our parking lot. Plus, people seem to go around the back of the store like they're race car drivers. [​IMG] I'm also going to check for eggs, I don't want to take the momma, if it's a momma, and leave eggs. I'll give the box and a stick trap a try tomorrow, thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by