1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need expert advice PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by taz0812, May 30, 2016.

1. taz0812

taz0812 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2015
    I have what i am 99% sure are two female ducks. I have had ducks in the past sit on nests for a couple hours and get off and i was always able to walk right up to the nest and never
    bother them. Right now my duck is sitting 23 hours a day on her nest. I went to chase her off yesterday to remove the eggs since as i said i believe there is no possible way they are fertile and she starting hissing at me which she has never done. So i went closer and she actually came off the nest at me a little trying to protect the nest. I have never had one of my ducks act that way. So i let her be and my question is should i just let her sit on the nest or when she comes off to eat should i remove the eggs? I dont know what to do in this situation!!

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Remove the eggs.

What kinda ducks are they?

3. taz0812

Jun 20, 2015
    Pekin and I'm unsure of the other. I lost one to a predator and had to get one quick cause my pekin wasn't eating. She is a black duck with a white chest.

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

She is broody, just keep removing the eggs as soon as she lays them, she will eventually snap out of it...

5. taz0812

Jun 20, 2015
    Will she freak out if I take all the eggs at once? It seems that would be the best way to do to it but may be devastating to her.

6. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Leaving eggs in the nest defeats the whole purpose of removing them in the first place, take out all the egg and keep the nest empty, she will get over it...

7. taz0812

Jun 20, 2015
    Thank you so much for your help

8. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    DOES THE OTHER ONE LAY?IT IS REALLY SIMPLE TO SEPARATE MALES FROM MALES.MALES HAVE A RASPY VOICE (GIRLS QUACK.)BOYS HAVE A CURL ON THEIR TAIL,GIRLS DONT.

9. taz0812

Jun 20, 2015
    Yes they borh lay. And no curl on either tail. I had a male once and could tell the difference but I was doubting myself because she was being so aggressive I thought she really thought she had some babies in there. I'm going to wait until she comes off today to eat and I'm going to remove all the eggs.

10. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    Collect eggs daily or at least frequently enough to prevent her from collecting a clutch. Birds will sit on infertile eggs but obviously they will just become rotten. If you want her to hatch ducklings you can swap her infertile eggs for fertile eggs, otherwise you will want to discourage her from following her mothering instinct.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by