Need Expert Opinion about Hatching

Vermontmaple

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 2, 2009
Beautiful Vermont
We are thrilled to have 4 "newborn" chicks in our incubator right now. I've got 14 more to go. When they hatch, when (or maybe I don't) should I open the incubator and take out the broken shells?

What will happen if I haven't turned eggs the last day (meaning day #17). I've been afraid to open the bator with the chicks in there b/c they are so "wet" I don't want them to "catch cold"....LOL

I have some eggs that I forgot to put the date on.........we'll see how it all goes.

How can I tell the sex of the chicks?

Do I have to worry about the chicks "pecking" each other in the bator?

We've been very fortunate; I couldn't ever figure out how to candle them and so far, so good!

Wish I knew what kind of (older) chickens I have, how can I tell? People are asking me what kind I have but the only one I know is a Welsummer.

Can I get child support payments from my neighbor? She is the one with the rooster?
LOL

Thanks for your input on any of these questions........

georgialee

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Knoxville, TN
Quote:The eggs should be fine if not turned from day 17 on.

You usually can't tell the sex until 6 weeks or later.

If you post some pics in the what breed/gender is this? forum someone should be able to help you figure out what breeds you have.

Hope that helps a bit!

pkw

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
North Edwards, CA
Can I get child support payments from my neighbor? She is the one with the rooster? LOL

I like that. Can I get child support payments from my neighbor?

I don't think it will hurt not turning your eggs on day 17 because I have 2 different dates in my incubator right now: June 12th and June 14th and so I going to be on LOCKDOWN starting the 10th which would put the June 14th a day without turning but I am not worry about that.

Good luck and congratulations on the chickies.​

Vermontmaple

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 2, 2009
Beautiful Vermont
Thanks for the information. It really, really helps!
I did not put the eggs in at the same time. I'll learn next time. I put them in on 5/19; 5/21 and 5/22 then of course some that I didn't put dates on are probably 5/20.

Top Bottom