Need Exterior Nest Box that opens from front not from top.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 1TurkenLover, Jan 15, 2014.

1. 1TurkenLover

1TurkenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    [​IMG]

Please post your Pic of Exterior Nest Box that opens from Front not from top.

this now sits 5 feet high, Way too tall for me to open for eggs, so I'm needing to modify.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  2. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

My exterior nest boxes will be opening from the back, but they aren't finished yet. I'm putting up 6 nests, 3 on top and 3 on bottom. I'm planning on putting a solid board along the bottom line of each row, and having the top half of the row open down. I'm hoping to finish them this weekend and will post a pic of them when I do.

For your nests, why don't you take the back piece off and cut it in half. Screw the bottom half back on, and put hinges on the top half. Then you could lower the top section of the back and access the nests. You could move your latch and put it on the sides, using two latches so nothing could get in.

3. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    Just make the front the door instead of the top. Cut the top to size and nail it in place and then make a piece for the front that is hinged at the top or bottom.

EDIT*** The top really should have a slope to it for water (rain) to run off rather than pool there. I would go a long way toward keeping water out and extending the life of the wood.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You also need to angle that top so it sheds water.
    Like henless said, cut the back in half and hinge it...that's how I did mine, but it's inside so latches on the top, but you could put the latches on the sides.

Go to my coop and scroll down for more pics.

[​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don’t have one like you are looking for so no photos. My exterior doors are still inside a shed so I don’t have to worry about rainwater. Still there are a few design issues with outside nests like that,

They can be a way for predators to get into the coop. You solve that by using good building techniques and strong materials. Use screws, not nails, and use decent sized wood to frame it. Also don’t scrimp on your hardware. Use hinges and latches strong enough to resist attack and attach them firmly.

It can be a way for rainwater to get in. Personally I’d rebuild it to slope the top and have an overhang so rainwater runs off. Caulk the crack at the top next to the building.

Outside nests like that can get hot if the sun hits them. You don’t need to cook a hen while she is laying an egg. Hot air rises. I’d leave a small crack under that overhang, maybe less than a half an inch, so hot air can get out and the overhang keeps water from blowing in but predators stay out.

The door presents some problems. That overhang across the front will prevent you from using the entire front (or back, whatever you want to call it) as a door. The overhang will be in the way. So what I’d suggest is to take a strip of wood maybe 3” wide and put that across the top right under the overhang. Then use the rest of the front as your door. I’d put the hinges on the bottom. I like to be able to see in the nest before I stick my hand in there or open it too far. You might have a hen in there that could escape if you hinge it from the top and can’t see when you open it. I’ve found snakes in my nests. Yeah, I do like to be able to see in there. Just make sure that strip across the top under the overhang is wide enough for you to attach your hasp. You could also hinge the door so it opens side to side not from the top if you wish. That works too.

Figure out how you are going to lock it and make sure your hasp is big enough to receive the lock.

6. 1TurkenLover

1TurkenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    Too completed 4 me.

How much larger you think for Sloping new top to hang over ?

Sound good so far, Angle new top, hinge front reminds me of tilt out doors, maybe a slide out.

Whatever has to be Water tight, it's the Rain season with wind gusts driving the rain inside. Snake are garden snake non poisonous in West WA, Mice on the other hand luv it here.

7. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    One inch overhang should be enough and enough of a slope that water will run off easily. An angle of about 10 to 15 degrees would be great. Here's a photo showing the angle of mine attached on the left side in photo.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by